Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Galls,I'm new to the site and just purchased my latest jeep,03 Rubicon Monday night... Been driving it around a bit and notice a popping sound when I turn right? The transfer-case was recently gone through..What I was told at the dealer... The passenger side wheel u-joint??(brain fart) has been replaced recently... When turning,it sounds like a tranny sounds when one clunks out of gear... like a binding clunk??? When it turns it feels like it is in 4 wheel and locked... A lurching ,hunching?? I ran it through 4 wheel in the back yard,going through 4-high,to 4-low,Locking rear,then locking front,then back to 2-W... No help. Still hunching and clunking-popping.... Any ideas out there??? Thank you all for any input!!! My wife will kill me if I bought a TURD!:bottom: It was already set-up the way I wanted to do my old 2000 Sport,4''lift,33x12's and wheels....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like a front axle u-joint to me. Check them both. Raise the front of the Jeep, turn the wheels all the way left and inspect the drivers side joint from the front. Rotate the wheel, move it back and forth on a rotational axis, try to shake it, etc. Then, turn the wheel all the way to the right and inspect the passenger side the same way. If you were in west TN I'd help ya out...lol

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
X2 on checking the U-Joints. Also check the Ball Joints and Front Trackbar as well.
Make sure trackbar is tight and secure, no play in it. For the Ball Joints, jack the front off the ground and grasp the tire at the top & bottm and rock it back & forth, watching the Ball Joint for excessive play or slop.

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just want to thank you all for the Help!!! I'm going to do just what you said later today. EXPECT THE WORST & HOPE FOR THE BEST, RIGHT!!!! Happy Jeep'n!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the clunk sounds like it is under the floor boards by your feet, it is probably the track bar. Otherwise check the u-joint.
D51

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Is the sound repeating or is it a single pop? What is getting me is you said it feels like its in 4WD and learching. Mine does that as well but its the bigger tires I put on rubbing the control arm because I haven't put in a spacer yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kauka,It does do it repeatedly at random.... Might not pop, then next tight Right turn it might pop,then in 5 feet into the radius pop again.... It sounds like an AX-15 sounds when they pop/clunk out of gear... Their shouldn't be any way the right side u-joint could be binding is their? I'm stumped for now???? It is a new joint. I think the previous owner thought that was it and replaced it trying to fix it.Iam the 3'rd owner...Jeep was like it is now when 2'nd owner got it. Would a detroit locker in the front sound like that if it had been swapped out??? My locker light comes on and don't flash or anything in 4L though... It's driving me BONKERS for now wondering.... Thank you for any advice!!! OH, It's not rubbing,It does hunch around a corner when i turn it even close to a tight turn.... It feels like the thing is in 4-wheel,or is locked...???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dissregard my last post, I reread the original question. Could it be the front locker not dissengaging? Does it do it if you turn right with your foot off the gas? Jack up the front end with both off the ground and the locker off. Rotate a tire and see if the is turning in the same direction or not?
D51

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the good idea D51! I'll have to try and round me up a floor jack.All I have is a bottle-neck,my High-lift is at my EX-Wifes... I told her 100 times "It's a jeep thing.... She didn't understand:rofl:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ya I agree it sounds like your front locker is not letting go

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Your locker light should be comming on just from putting it in 4 low. If yours is like mine and it should be you have to engage the lockers separately. If it is it sounds like your locker is not disengaging.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok,FINALLY got access to my jack yesterday and the locker isn't engaged(wheels rotated in different directions). It's not stuck in 4H like I was wondering either...I was so happy that it wasn't the those first two things that I forgot to turn the wheels and check the dang u-joints!(DUMB) Thing that gets me is the sound is coming from the right side were it is a new u-joint??? Could this sound be resulting from the track-bar??? I'm about to take it to a Jeep off-road shop close to me.I just hate to be defeated by it and give in and have to shell over $$$ to somebody!:banghead:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an 06 rubicon and it pops when I turn. All the time. I will have to pay attention the next time I smash it around and see if is one side or another. Mine has done it ever since bigger tires. I have visually inspected all of the suspension parts and they look fine so I turn up the radio and go. I don't know about the lurching on turns though. My tires welch a little on u turns but that is it. Every jeep I have owned or been in makes noise. I have always thought it may be my drag links moving when you turn. The one at the pitman arm especially. Just a FYI. Mine has done it for 2 years and I best the crap out of my jeep.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh yeah. You can pull the locker deal out of the pumpkin and cap it and drive it and see if it helps. I had my rear one lock up. It is a bolt head with wires coming out. Pull it out, disconnect the wires and cap the hole. That should disengage the locker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts