Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 03 Rubicon, its in great shape and has lots of extras. The downside is that the rear axel, still a dana 44, is from an 05 wrangler with no air locker. The front is still hooked up. The guy i purchased it from claims the front will still lock in. I have not yet tested it and will not be able to for another week or two. Its staying in the garage till i finish the eastwood and fluid film frame and underbody coating. So anyone know if my front will still lock? If not any way to make it lock? There is a bypass switch already installed if that helps.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Should still lock in 4 low but the more important question is are front and rear ratios the same

All Rubi came as 4.11 but most other TJ D44 tears were not

Drive in 4wd with axles with different ratios is bad and may damage your Rubi transfer case assuming you still have the big ass very expensive Rubi exclusive case or if they sold that off you could still damage a non Rubi transfer case

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the gears are 4.10 front and rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not actually confirmed, but it I dont have any reason to beleive other wise. I was told when i bought it the axel was just rebuilt. And it accelerates well even with the 35" km2s. I have not yet put it in 4x4 and i plan on checking before i do.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I have not actually confirmed, but it I dont have any reason to beleive other wise. I was told when i bought it the axel was just rebuilt. And it accelerates well even with the 35" km2s. I have not yet put it in 4x4 and i plan on checking before i do.
35's and it accelerates well? You may have 4.88 gears the rear. Better make sure the front matches. ;)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
... So anyone know if my front will still lock? If not any way to make it lock? There is a bypass switch already installed if that helps.
If your switch has the bypass mod, get the front wheels off the ground. Turn the ignition to on, but do not start the engine. Activate the front locker. You should hear the pump for a few seconds. Spin the front wheels and see if the diff is locked.

To quickly check if your gearing matches, get all four wheels off the ground. Put the transmission into neutral and the t-case into 4 wheel. Spin the tires and see if the front and rear go at the same rate.

If you only have one pair of jack stands, then you can count the rotation of the drive shafts compared to the tire rotation. If you have 4.10 gears, then the drive shaft will make 4.1 rotations for every one full rotation of the tire. If you have 4.88 gears, then the drive shaft will make 4.88 rotations for every one full rotation of the tire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, sounds good, i have 4 jack stands. Ill give it a try.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My biggest concern was that i have read that on a rubicon the rear axel always locks vefore the front and i didnt know if there was an electronic "safety" feature that would prevent my fronts from locking. Overall im fine with an open diff in the rear for now as i will be daily driving it. However, i do plan on doing some two tracking and a trip to silver lake dunes this year.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
My biggest concern was that i have read that on a rubicon the rear axel always locks vefore the front and i didnt know if there was an electronic "safety" feature that would prevent my fronts from locking....
The first push of the factory switch activates the rear. Second push activates the front. The rear does not need to lock before the front will. They don't talk to each other.

I would be curious to know if you still have the rear pump installed and if it is still functional trying to lock the missing rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The air pump has two air hoses the come off the first is hooked to the front axel the second is just cut off about 6 inches out.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
The air pump has two air hoses the come off the first is hooked to the front axel the second is just cut off about 6 inches out.
Originally there were two matching pumps. One for each diff.

Each pump has two hoses. One hose is the inlet the other is the output going to the locker. The 6" inlet hose has been cut and really ought to run up into the engine compartment so it doesn't suck in water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah ok, that makes since. The whole pump is currently located on drivers side fender under the hood. I was told it was relocated during the tummy tuck process. Should i put any type of air filter on that to prevent sand or other debri from getting into my locker?

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
No unless locked only jack up one wheel and the ratio is number of drive shaft rotations for two full wheel rotations with other side on ground and not turning

Yes if truly locked jack up both and ratio is driveshaft rotations for one full rotation of both wheels

If not locked and jack up both wheels they each turn variable amounts and counting is impossible

Hell with open Diffy and both jacked up you can spin one around forward let other spin backward at same rate and driveshaft never move
try it with tranny in park or manual in gear and tc in 2hi and watch what happens with both rears jacked as you hand rotate one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts