Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the stock exhaust manifold on my 2003 4L TJ with hdr's...I know i need to remove the intake manifold and thats why i'm here. I've labeled and disconnected my wiring harness, removed the power steering pump and removed the top 5 bolts on the intake but it looks like there are a few more underneath. Does any one know how many or how to get to them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
haha...sorry to hear you gonna do this but if you dont have it up on a lift you need to lay underneath and just feel around for them with a 14mm socket...and have a small extension handy...these bolts are a pain in the a** to get out and back in...i did this last week on my 99 4.0. there should be 6 bolts on the bottom and top row btw

·
Registered
431 Posts
Oh god you just brought back painful memories. Yes, there are 8 bolts if I remember right. I didn't have a lift either I turned the wheels to the right to give me a gap to sit in and unbolt it. Thank god for liquid wrench. I wish someone had told me to just pay someone to do it, that one would have been worth it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldnt take it somewhere and have it done...i was going to untill the guy told me it was a 5 hr job by the book...i managed to get the intake/exhaust gasket off, everything cleaned and reinstalled in under 4 hrs with no lift to put it on...its worth tackling it yourself.

·
Registered
218 Posts
good information.. i have a leak somewhere and im starting from the tailpipe for sure hahah.

hopefully i can escape the wrath of a manifold replacement.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Let the engine idle and warm up a little and those bolts will come out a little easier when hot. I did mine myself in about 2 hours. It looks intimidating but with patience and the right tools its actually pretty easy.
BTW...Not to burst your bubble but don't be surprised if that header develops its own crack eventually, Unless it has a flex joint in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts