Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got everything swapped over, but now it wont start, it will backfire and sputter then die, how do I fix this?

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Probably a crank angle sensor it reads of flywheel on manual and flex plate on auto and times the spark

On 4.0 Flywheel has three areas that sensor picks up on and can only bolt to crank in one orientation as bolts to crank not an evenly spaced circle

I think the flex plate sensor is different so you may need to change that sensor

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what do I need to get

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
On 97 thru 02, the MTs use a 2 bolt sensor and the 32RH autos use a 1 bolt sensor. Cost for the auto sensor is roughly half of what the MT sensors cost. But in 03, the auto was a 42RLE and I just did a cross reference at Advance Auto Parts and it uses yet another sensor so now I have several questions because I am unsure. 1) What year model flex plate did you use and are they all the same or did that change in 03? 2) Will you need a different ECM for the 32RH to shift properly?

I'm sure there is someone on here that has made this swap so hopefully they can help you out. I have read a post from Jerry Bransford that he made a 32RH swap in his early TJ (97 if I remember right) and I believe I remember him mentioning swapping the ECM from the donor vehicle that he got the tranny out of.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 97 thru 02, the MTs use a 2 bolt sensor and the 32RH autos use a 1 bolt sensor. Cost for the auto sensor is roughly half of what the MT sensors cost. But in 03, the auto was a 42RLE and I just did a cross reference at Advance Auto Parts and it uses yet another sensor so now I have several questions because I am unsure. 1) What year model flex plate did you use and are they all the same or did that change in 03? 2) Will you need a different ECM for the 32RH to shift properly?

I'm sure there is someone on here that has made this swap so hopefully they can help you out. I have read a post from Jerry Bransford that he made a 32RH swap in his early TJ (97 if I remember right) and I believe I remember him mentioning swapping the ECM from the donor vehicle that he got the tranny out of.
Im using a flexplate for a 97-02

The ecu swap was for the tc lockup, I ran a switch for it

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
It could be a bad sensor or might not be compatible with your year ECU/PCM

Also the flex plate may or may not be comparable with the sensor comparable with your PCM

Do you have a check engine light on and if so what codes

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No codes

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
look online at parts lists and see if flex plates and crank angle sensors are same or different your year and donor year

I know your year TJ used a different auto but what about actual flex plate and CAS

I so think it should work with your PCM as that auto needs no PCM interface except lock up and you can do that seperately independent of PCM but the old manual PCM has to get a functional spark timing pulse from CAS

What was donor year of your auto and flex plate?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
look online at parts lists and see if flex plates and crank angle sensors are same or different your year and donor year

I know your year TJ used a different auto but what about actual flex plate and CAS

I so think it should work with your PCM as that auto needs no PCM interface except lock up and you can do that seperately independent of PCM but the old manual PCM has to get a functional spark timing pulse from CAS

What was donor year of your auto and flex plate?
I think it was off a 2000

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Do you have a pic to compare the timing features of the auto flex plate and the 5 SPd flywheel perhaps your PCM needs the output a 5spd sensor produces and perhaps it could be adapted to read off the flex plate marks

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Here is a kit

Hesco HES9199ED - Hesco Damper/Crank Sensor Kit for 91-03 4.0L 6CYL - Quadratec

Noteable same kit same sensor works all 91-03 4.0
So if your flex plate came off a 4.0 from 2000 and your sensor is correct for the tranny and flexplate you should be ok

However the 4.0 will have three sets of marks for sensor at 120 degrees apart and a four will only have 2 sets at 180 degrees apart so you must use a 4.0 flex plate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts