Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so the other day I went to turn on my jeep after leaving the lights on for like 4 hours and the battery was dead. It wouldn't even turn over.
So while I was at work my friend tried to jumpstart the jeep. He connected the cables wrong and caused the cables to smoke up, melt and burn to the ground....
THANK GOD MY JEEP IS OKAY.

Anyways when I got home, I jumpstarted the jeep and it worked fine, I left it for about 5-10 minutes and the battery showed it was at 14 and charged.
Shut off the engine and left.

This morning when I was going to work the jeep would not start again, it would turn over but not start. All of the lights on the interior work and the battery shows its at 14 and charged.

I go to attempt to jumpstart it when I got home and all it will do it turn over like its going to start but doesn't quite get there.

I am NOT mechanically inclined and really am at a loss for what to do.
I'm also on a tight budget and cant afford to just throw money at it to see what works. It's my DD and I really need it up badly tomorrow for work.

What could be the problem?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Jumping the battery wrong can cause serious damage! Could have fried ECM or other computer related things. Hopefully he just fried your battery. I would go buy a new battery for starters or at least bring it to an auto parts store to have tested

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just find it weird that I was able to jumpstart it after that happened and now nothing is working...
If my battery or something else was fried wouldn't it have not started when i jumped it last?

And with all the interior lights working and radio etc doesn't that mean my battery is good?

Don't stone me if I'm wrong. Really don't have a clue.

·
Registered
15,962 Posts
Yes that means ecu/PCM was probably ok after first misadventure

However if you had a loose battery cable including ground and with the engine running and alt running letting the battery connection be broken and then reconnect can cause a voltage spike that can kill electronics. Some guys think a way to check alternator is start then pull a battery cable and see if it still runs then reconnect and this is a very dangerous and expensive game to play.

For your jeep lets start with basics
Starter does turn engine over briskly?
If so battery starter and start key circuit and main battery cables are all ok.

Crank but no start need to check for fuel pressure at rail, and injectors clicking on cranking and does it have spark.

Dumb question but does it have gas in tank?

Finally what was done to or for jeep between last time it started and now (everything you did please list)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the starter turns the engine over like normal.
I really have no idea how to check the fuel pressure at rail and all that you said :/ ....
Yes there is half a tank of gas

The only thing i have done since it worked and now was
Let it sit while on for 15 minutes
Attempt to start it this morning
Attempt to jump it when I got back home

After closely inspecting the battery wires I came across this though...looks bad possibly.

also this is what his dumb ass connected the negative end of the jumpers to

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to add that I turned on my 50" led light bar and headlights on bright and it shined bright and beautiful. Leading me to believe this has nothing to to with my battery being dead.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well somehow today I went out to start my jeep and it actually started on its own!
Amazing.
Have started it 3 seperate times today and it has been fine, no idea what happened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts