Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 03 wrangler today, I figure it needs a valve cover gasket (smell burnt motor oil). When I got it home I went to pop hood and it felt extremely hot To me. Went and checked temp and said it was running a little over 210. Is this normal

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've noticed that mine will run a little over 210 when it's hot outside. I wouldn't stress over that temp at all. Normal temp for me is just under 210 when nice out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put new radiator and failsafe thermostat in and it’s still Getting over 210

·
Registered
395 Posts
I bought a 03 wrangler today, I figure it needs a valve cover gasket (smell burnt motor oil). When I got it home I went to pop hood and it felt extremely hot To me. Went and checked temp and said it was running a little over 210. Is this normal
Totally normal

·
Registered
99 Posts
I run a 180 deg thermostat and that keeps it at 208 deg in normal driving and now with a louvered hood I will barely crack 212 loaded up a 7% grade. My AC is always blastin.

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
That is where my temperature gauge sat when it warms up since I purchased it 6 years ago (20,000 miles ago).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Mine was exactly where yours is until this weekend (minus the CEL). I had a crappy replacement radiator and my system had that some kind of coppery stop-leak in it. Coolant looked nearly black (with copper flakes).

New Gates water pump, Stant Superstat 195 thermostat, new Mopar radiator, Stant 18 lb. radiator cap, new upper and lower hose. Flushed the whole system before diving in and refilled with Zerex G05 coolant. 210, right on the dot! I ran just a tick over 210 for two years, without any issues. But running at the design spec. 210 just makes me feel a little better.

You may have a water pump or radiator that is just a little less than 100% efficient, reducing flow a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts