Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this and seen some info already. I am having to assume that all this mess started sometime in 1999?. I have a 98 TJ, and I am having a hard time finding the casting number on the head (I read drivers side approx # 3/4 cyl on side of the head). Well the last owner had a new exhaust manifold pu on it, so maybe the gasket is hiding these numbers. Is it viewed looking from the side or top looking down? i should see like 0330 if I have a non-affected (potential) head?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Makes one wonder that if the factory is making something the right-why change and end up with problems-like changing what ever vendor or design of the head. (cost cutting?)I remember back in the 1970's when Ford factory or vendor changed their process and the 302 engine blocks had problems. They were fine -then went sour.( calimed to be green/non cured cast iron)-not sure what that was supposed to mean. I do know there was lots of problems. I would still like to know where to see the casting number-if I am asked by an other Jeep owner. Also I would think there has to be a cut off date/start date for these 0331 heads to be made. production date on Jeep Vin plate indicate when made.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts