Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here but I've searched the boards and can't find a solution so here goes. I've got an 04 TJ with a 4" suspension lift and a 1.5" BL (recently lowered from 3" BL) and 35" BFG tires: When I'm in 3rd or 4th gear and quickly take my foot off the gas pedal, the whole body seems to shimmy. It's as though when I'm in the gas the body torques to the left and then back to the right when I let off. Could be coincidence but it seemed to start this after I took 1.5" of the BL out. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts! Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Did you replace the bolts when you took out the 3" lift? I believe the bolts go into nutserts and if they are too long they may not be holding the tub on tight but could still be torqued correctly. Get under the jeep and have someone rock it side to side and see if there is movement.
Check your motor mounts to see if they're cracked and check your transmission mount on the skid plate. Not too uncommon for the mount to break.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! Checked all those this morning....nothing seems loose, no cracked welds, used new bolts when I lowered it. I did some reading about torque steer and it sounded similar except that even letting go of the wheel at 55, when I quickly accelerate or decelerate it tracks straight down the road. It feels like the entire tub torques. it's probably doing it in 1st and 2nd but it's just way more obvious in the higher gears.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I tell people this a lot,but one of the best troubleshooting techniques is to get under the jeep while someone rocks the jeep side to side, then front to back, and also watch the front steering while someone turns the steering wheel. If the tub is loose it should shift on it's bushings just a bit. I've never heard of a loose tub so really think it may be somewhere else.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had the same problem on my 97 w a 4" lift. Every time I let off the gas the jeep would dive left. I changed the shocks and it got a little better, then put some curry HD springs on and presto....problem solved. The springs were just spent. Improved body lean on turns dramaticly too. Mabey that's your problem ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you checked your track bars to see if they are loose? Get in your jeep unlock the steering but don't start it turn wheel left and right and take up play see if body rocks left and right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem...was told it was the rear trac-bar, replaced it and nothing. I do have a front aussie locker and one guy insists that's the problem. I'm not convinced though. If anyone could elaborate on this one, that would be great. It is absolutely driving me crazy, I was thinking it could be the springs/shocks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've checked all the mounts and they seem fine unless there's a problem that's hidden from view. I tried the trick with turning the steering wheel and there's no wobble. It could be pure coincidence but it only started doing this after I took the 1.5 inches out of the body lift. Another thing is it only does it if you let off on the gas quickly...not if you push in the clutch suddenly. I've also adjusted the tire pressure up and down. Nothing!!!

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Check to see that the front and rear axles are centered over the frame. And check your control arms.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check your rear control arms....This happened to me after I lifted it and didnt tighten down the bolts enough...when they came loose it was quite an interesting experience

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just checked the rear control arms. I can twist them side to side about 1/4 or more. They're much looser than the front. Could that be the place to start...replacing the bushings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Control Arms don't have any play in them. It probably wouldn't hurt to wrench them a little tighter though. I did check the motor mounts from the underside and the driver side one seems to have a tear where the bolt is and on the passenger side appears to have a "gash" in the center. They both seem to look a little dry rotted anyway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did this solve your problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had someone watching the engine while I stomped on it, and no movement anywhere. I am about to just take it in and have someone figure it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts