Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 LJ with the 4.0 (of course). Even though the manual indicates that it should hold six quarts of oil, 5 quarts puts it on the full mark. Since I bought this Jeep used I thought that maybe at some point the dipstick had been lost and replaced with the 4 cyl stick by mistake. I ordered a new dipstick from MoPar and it turned out to be identical to the one I already have. So, either this motor has a five qt oil pan - if there is such a thing- or I still have the incorrect dipstick.

Could someone please measure the overall length of their 4.0 dipstick and also the measurement from the bottom of the stick to the full mark? I don't want to run the motor at the incorrect level. BTW - the jeep was bone stock when I bought it and didn't appear to have spent any time off road, so I'm leaning towards the incorrect dip stick.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
The 4.0L definitely holds six quarts, don't overthink it. I'd measure the dipstick for you if my TJ wasn't locked up under a full cover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have six in it now and have since I have owned it, but I want to rule out an oil pan swap in the past. Was there ever a 5 qt pan for the 4.0l? If not, I'll quit worrying about it and mark the stick at the correct level.

·
Registered
187 Posts
On my '05 LJR...
I got 23 3/4" total length... end of stick to bottom of plastic/knob where it contacts the tube. 3" to safe hole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my '05 LJR...
I got 23 3/4" total length... end of stick to bottom of plastic/knob where it contacts the tube. 3" to safe hole.
Hmmm...that's identical to mine. So why does mine show to be overfilled with 6 qts? Points back to the oil pan again.:pullinghair:

The mystery deepens.....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I think every vehicle I've had I couldn't put in the full spec amount without over-filling. In my Wrangler 5 1/2 gets it to the upper full mark. I presume one cannot expect to drain out all of the oil.

·
Super Moderator
6,902 Posts
i know this may be insulting, but just covering the bases.

swap oil filters during oil change and start the jeep to fill the oil filter before taking the reading?

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I can never get the full 6 qt in without showing it as being overfilled on the dipstick.

Me thinks a dipstick designed the dipstick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know this may be insulting, but just covering the bases.

swap oil filters during oil change and start the jeep to fill the oil filter before taking the reading?
Not insulting at all. The oil was changed a week ago. I HOPE the filter is full by now!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I fully drain my '06, replace filter, pour in exactly 6 quarts, and I'm right where it needs to be on the dipstick, every time. Is it possible your pan is dented or you aren't draining all the oil out? I know both are probably far-fetched but they are possibilities.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have an 04 LJ with the 4.0 (of course). Even though the manual indicates that it should hold six quarts of oil, 5 quarts puts it on the full mark. Since I bought this Jeep used I thought that maybe at some point the dipstick had been lost and replaced with the 4 cyl stick by mistake. I ordered a new dipstick from MoPar and it turned out to be identical to the one I already have. So, either this motor has a five qt oil pan - if there is such a thing- or I still have the incorrect dipstick.

Could someone please measure the overall length of their 4.0 dipstick and also the measurement from the bottom of the stick to the full mark? I don't want to run the motor at the incorrect level. BTW - the jeep was bone stock when I bought it and didn't appear to have spent any time off road, so I'm leaning towards the incorrect dip stick.
Rkirby,
Wow, talk about dejavu! We purchased an '03 Rubicon with 28,000 miles back in Thanksgiving of last year. I wanted to have a fresh oil change as, I did not know when the previous owner had changed it last. So, I cruised on down to my local AutoZone and, talked with the counter person about how much oil to get for my Rubi. He stated: "6 Quarts".

So, out the door with 6 quarts and, the required filter. Well, I drained it and, removed and installed the new filter. Then, I installed 5 quarts. I then checked the level with the dip stick. Well, just like yours, mine said, FULL! started the engine, ran it for about 2 minutes then, shut it down and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I pulled the dip stick and wiped it off and, re-inserted it to pull back out for a reading.

FULL! Hmmmmmm. What the heck???? I still had the sixth quart sitting on the work bench. I posted this dilemma on the Rubicon Owners Forum and, got all the same exact responses you're getting, PUT 6 in it and, go play. Well, I did exactly what you're doing and, that is, investigate what the hell is wrong with this picture? The owners manual says 6 quart capacity for the engine. I thought too that my dip stick maybe might have been changed by a previous owner, for some odd, outer-space reason.

So, I called a buddy over who has an '06 Rubi with of course, the same exact engine. We compared dip sticks. (that doesn't sound good!) Anyway, his was/is the same exact length and, the markings are in the same exact spot as mine. He's always put 6 quarts in his for an oil change.

Well, this has not answered ANYTHING! That was about 2-3 months ago and, there was quite a few answers on the post I did but, no one, could answer why I was having the issue. Our Jeep is running around with 5 quarts of oil in it and, is running like a top. I check it periodically and, it's still topped off, right at the full mark and, the 6 quart is still sitting in my garage cabinet.

As of yet, no one on this planet can answer what the problem is. It won't really do any good to go to the dealer, they'd just put 6 quarts in it, charge me and tell me to be on my way, over filled all the way.
Scott

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
My '04 takes just over 5qts, and that's with a larger than OEM filter on it. There are much better things to worry about than that last bottle of oil.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think what's happening is your checking the oil immediately after putting the fresh oil in. Go ahead and leave it at 5 quarts, then drive around the block till engine reaches running temp (210F) and then recheck it and you'll see the level has gone down and will take the 6th quart.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Some need to go check their owner's manuals. I'm pretty sure the engineers know how many quarts of oil the ancient 4.0L engine holds by now. I've had three different 4.0L engines and all held the factory spec'd 6 quarts.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Interesting, my 04 takes about 5.5 qts. Maybe 5.75 at most. I've never made it to a full 6. I just assumed it was the drainage process. There's just extra left over, I figured it could account for .5 quarts all together. I've never had an issue yet! Also check periodically just to be sure, I've never noticed a loss after some time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I only can get 5 in my 03 4.0. Only had it a few months but, when I changed the oil I only put in 5 quarts and it was full. It seems to run fine, and I would be afraid to put another quart in it. Now my engine has 180K miles on it, so maybe I have a bunch of gunk in it but I doubt it,.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My TJ also shows as over the full limit when I put 6 in. Since that's the stated amount I do it anyway. I wonder if that's the reason the leaking is so common on these. :blackeye

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I wonder if that's the reason the leaking is so common on these. :blackeye
It's not that common. None of my three 4.0L engines ever leaked oil even though I kept all three past 100k miles and one past 200k miles before that Jeep was stolen. :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
oops, fat fingers :blackeye

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Are you using a short filter? Size matters here :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts