Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 TJ sport 4.0 manual. When I remove the ignition key, the steering wheel does not lock. It occurred to me the other day with a manual trans and the fact that I most often don't have a top on it, someone could easily jump in an push it down the street.

Assuming that it should lock, can someone tell me what would "most likely" be broken/missing to cause the steering wheel to not lock? How hard is it to fix?

Before anyone asks:
  • Yes, I have a garage I can park it in, but its a pain to get to.
  • Yes, I have a steering wheel lock bar. ( The Club ) Again, it's a pain to use.
  • Yes, I know Jeeps are notoriously easy to steel in any case. Just trying to keep honest people honest...

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
not sure but my 04 seems to turn over 1/2 a rotation b4 it'll lock sometimes. been workin on my front end and it seems like it 's open until i need to go just a tad further then it locks on me.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
According to the manual, after you remove the key, you have to turn the steering wheel 1/2 rotation in either direction before it will lock.

It's on page 14 of the 2004 Wrangler Owners Manual. (I have the '04 downloaded, since a download version was never available from FCA for prior years).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts