Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6-inch lift and currently, have Super Swampers 35's on aftermarket wheels. I want some quieter tires and different rims. I like the look of the stock rims and recently came across 5 (SPAR!) and would like to use them. But the offset is much less than I have. I have a few options., I need a spare ( none at this time) so I could buy 1 tire and try it on a stock rim, but its still a $200+ guess and if it does not work, a bit of a waste of money. I hate to ask but hours of google and the search here I don't see anything on Stock rims.. lots on stock jeeps working with 35's but all I see are on aftermarket rims.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
You will need wheel spacers to run 35's on stock rims. I have a few friends that run this way. I can't remember what size spacer they use, but 3.75-4.0" backspacing is the norm.
I run 1.5" wheel spacers on my JK with 35's and stock wheels.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a question...I hope I am not hijacking this thread....
We recently, bought a 2000 Wrangler Sport …
it has Mickey Thompson wheels with 12.5 inch tread on the tires...off hand do not know the wheel or tire size...but we are thinking, when we drive it during the winter, on snow/ice..we might want a all weather tire?
Anyhow, we are thinking of getting a spare set of wheels and tires...looking on FB Marketplace there are many takeoffs from more recent models..for which the bolt pattern does not match the 2000 TJ.
Those of you with more experience than we, in Jeeps,...would you recommend getting the newer wheels and tires from a recent model and using a bolt pattern adapter?
There are a few sets available with the 5x4.5" pattern.
Our Mickey Thompson wheels are 5x4.5 pattern.

thanks for any feedback you offer !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First TJDave thanks. The Backspace on my current wheels is massive, I have no idea what the stock wheels are but it can't be much. To get where I am with my current rims I think I would need 2 1/2 inch spacers. Which brings us to the new question from rdvkb. Are wheel spacers evil and how they destroy the planet (sorry sarcasm after all the threads I have read). As somebody who has had many an old car fixed up and having "deep dish" mags for the excellent look, I have first-hand experience with Bearing failure due to wide tires and rims. I have also run them successfully. And the threads show that's some pretty treachours waters to tread in. SO I won't ask anybody to get into that discussion but if anybody wants to add for rdvkb knowledge please do

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
Using wheel spacers will not add any more Jeep killing leverage to your axle than an aftermarket wheel will with equal backspacing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts