1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My starter grinds pretty inconsistently. Here is a video
https://youtu.be/I5h101GCh3k

I took it to a mechanic that supposedly knew about jeeps and he said it wasn't the Starter or the flywheel, that it may be an electrical issue, but I thought to check here to make sure exactly what it is, it's a 05 6-speed manual with about 160k miles on it

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm having trouble hearing it in video. Is this noise mad only when the starter is turning over or is it while the engine is running/ ideling. If your hearing this during idle get under the jeep while it is running and feel the lower inspection plate to see if you feel anything that might be dinging it. Then press in on the plate to see if it changes or gets louder. If so then then your problem is the inspection plate is slightly bent in and is clicking off the flywheel bolts. Which probably isn't going to cause any problem and you could just bend and pry till it's normal. I had this problem after installing an aftermarket starter that was slightly larger diameter causing the plate to crush in a half a centimeter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having trouble hearing it in video. Is this noise mad only when the starter is turning over or is it while the engine is running/ ideling. If your hearing this during idle get under the jeep while it is running and feel the lower inspection plate to see if you feel anything that might be dinging it. Then press in on the plate to see if it changes or gets louder. If so then then your problem is the inspection plate is slightly bent in and is clicking off the flywheel bolts. Which probably isn't going to cause any problem and you could just bend and pry till it's normal. I had this problem after installing an aftermarket starter that was slightly larger diameter causing the plate to crush in a half a centimeter.
It's the noise when the engine turns over, at first I thought it was the Starter staying engaged and went to orileys to get it checked, and it was staying engaged so I got a new Starter but it didn't fix the issue

·
Registered
12 Posts
WillKash,
What ended up happening with this issue? My 97 TJ does the same thing. Just began hapening, not every time.
Searching this forum it looks like the flywheel could be worn, starter bad, or solenoid (part of the starter?) Another thread talked about "rocking your jeep while in first gear" to see if it was the starter or flywheel. I don't understand that advice though.
I'm at the "keep watching" phase. Any insights would be appreciated!!!
Thanks so much
Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts