Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new (to me) 2005 Rubicon 2 door with 64K miles. Everything underneath looks great. I have two problems: front wheels wobble slightly at 50 mph and every time I fill up it blows gas before shutting off the pump. Is this normal or do I have some kind of vent plugged?
BTW, I tried to insert an image of my new Jeep, but all I got when I selected Insert Image was a pop up asking for URL.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The fill up spewing gas is a common problem with all 05 and 06 TJs. It's caused by the inlet poppet valve inside the fuel tank inlet where the bottom of the filler hose connects to the tank. It sticks either open or closed. If it sticks open, you get fuel spewing out when the tank hits full, if it sticks closed, you can't hardly get it to take any gas at all. The valve can stick open for a long time, and then one day, shift and stick closed.
There are two fixes available:
1. Remove the fuel filler hose and install a check valve from a GM fuel filler hose inside the stock Jeep hose, or use the GM hose in it's place. GM p/n 15131046

2. You can drop the fuel tank and carefully remove the poppet valve from the inside and sand down the guides so it no longer sticks.

Most of us opt for number 1 above and when you remove the fuel filler hose, you can use a long screw driver to jam the poppet open a little further, this keeps it from shifting closed and giving you the opposite problem. If you ever have to drop the tank, to replace the fuel pump for example, you can always go in and do the proper fix.

See this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4DXHsacHB4

Here is what the GM check valve looks like. I have installed several of these in 05/06 TJ's by inserting them into the bottom of the Jeep filler hose and using a 7/8 deep socket to push it up in place. Proper orientation of the valve is critical to make it work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9V6vOY4JU

·
Registered
808 Posts
x2 on the GM filler tube mod.

Second question, make sure the tire pressure is correct in your front tires and get them balanced. If you can drive through the wobble, as in the wobble goes away when you go faster, your tires need balanced.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a 2005 TJ with the overflow issue.
For the time being, i just slow the the pump down as the gas tank gets full, no overflow.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an automatic. And thanks for the information on the check valve.
GM filler hose only $27 delivered on Amazon and I don't have to pull the tank versus a free fix but only if I pull the tank. $27 sounds like a bargain. Also sounds like this wouldn't have become a problem if the gasoline didn't have so much alcohol.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mine did this and I just slowed down at the end and then one day it magically fixed itself. I am sure one day it will unfix itself and I will have to actually fix it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you were close by, I'd have you come over and we'd do these together. I have one that I bought the parts for, I just haven't got to it yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My grandson helped me install the modified GM gas filler hose. Filled up and NO gas burp when the tank was full. I have a copy of the write up that we followed.

The inside diameters are identical. Cut 1 1/4" off the small end and 1 3/4" off the big end. I started out only cutting about 3/4" from the small end to make it the same length as our hose, but it can't make the bend without kinking. I cut some more off and it made for less of a bend and no kink. If you have a body lift, you'll probably need to cut less off. Start small, you can always cut more but once you cut it too short you're on your own...:

Swap your old clamps onto the GM part:

The lower clamp has a little clip on it that you put at the top of the hose so you can feel that it's oriented right when you put in on the tank. The round notch on the GM hose is there to align it with its intended tank, use it as a reference for installing the Jeep clamp. This is very important when it comes to re-installing the new hose. You'll have to feel for this clip because you won't be able to see it clearly:

That's it!!!

Reinstall and you're done. I had to remove the 4 torx screws attaching the filler neck to the body to get the new hose on it. I didn't have to disconnect any other lines or take it completely out, but just needed to move the neck around to get the new hose on.
Removal and istallation on an LJ is extremely simple.

1 - Access through lower wheel well cover:

2 - Loosen the 2 hose clamps and remove the original rubber hose. (1/4" screw clamp upper & 5/16" screw clamp lower) I found it easier to remove the stock hose with the upper filler neck still attached to the body so I could pull down on it.

3 - Cut GM hose and swap Jeep clamps over (see previous posts).

4 - Remove the 4 torx screws attaching upper filler pipe to body. You don't have to remove the pipe completely. I didn't even disconnect the tank vent, axle vent, and locker pump lines. You'll only need to move and twist it around a bit to get the new hose on:

5 - Install modified GM hose, tighten all fasteners, replace trim pieces as necessary - you're done!!!

Note: Make sure the hose is oriented correctly. If the flapper sits crooked or upside down it won't work right. The round notch on the big end of the GM hose before cutting it is for orienting it to its intended tank. You'll have to feel for the little clip on the Jeep hose clamp and make sure it sits at 12 o'clock on the tank inlet.

Here's the installed hose:

I can email you a copy with the pictures if you need it. Just let me know.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Jealous of your jeep! I bought an 05 Rubi this past January (can't believe it's been 7 months), khaki metallic. It's my third TJ and a summer car - had an 04 silver Rubi I sold to someone here on the forums and an 05 sport after college.

Reason I'm saying nice Rubi, my friend in high school in 03 his dad came home with a brand new Rubi in electric green. Instantly fell in love and really the day I fell in love with TJs. I couldn't pass up my one owner Rubi with 61K miles - but man the electric green is awesome. Congrats on the rig!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wife loved the color in the ad, check. All downhill at this point.
I loved the low miles, check.
New top, check.
It looked perfect underneath, no leaks, check.
4wd, front, and rear lockers all worked in bumpy field across from dealer. Check.
Price was right, check.
Decision complete! Buy.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The wife loved the color in the ad, check. All downhill at this point.
I loved the low miles, check.
New top, check.
It looked perfect underneath, no leaks, check.
4wd, front, and rear lockers all worked in bumpy field across from dealer. Check.
Price was right, check.
Decision complete! Buy.
I see you are in Pine, CO! So am I. Feel free to contact me if you need any help installing the GM check valve.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My 05 did the same fuel splash back. I tried the GM hose but it didn't help. Mine did both, slow fill and splash back at different times. I finally dropped the tank, pulled the slider poppet and sanded it to gain clearance, and reinstalled everything. No more issues filling up.
It is not difficult to drop the tank. As long as you do not have significant rust it can be done in a few hours start to finish.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just bought a new (to me) 2005 Rubicon 2 door with 64K miles. Everything underneath looks great. I have two problems: front wheels wobble slightly at 50 mph and every time I fill up it blows gas before shutting off the pump. Is this normal or do I have some kind of vent plugged?
BTW, I tried to insert an image of my new Jeep, but all I got when I selected Insert Image was a pop up asking for URL.
My 2005 LJ recently had a wobble issue at 50-55mph, but reduced at higher speeds. It turned out to be the trackbar and also the passenger-side ball joint. Both were replaced and it drives like new.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Previous owner replaced front disc brake pads without turning or replacing the very scored rotors. I just put on new rotors and ceramic pads and then rotated in the five tire pattern. Also changed the oil. No more brake pulsing, no more front end wobble and it seems to run better. Funny how changing oil always makes you think the car runs better. It drives like a new Jeep now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I purposely drove until low fuel light/buzzer came on so I could carefully refuel without the blowback. Since the book says 19 gallons, I figured I'd pump about 16 gallons then slow down. It blew back at 13 gallons and the fuel gauge registered Full. What gives? Is the tank not 19 gallons? I don't want to use the hose-only fix if it limits me to 14-15 gallons in the tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's normal. There's 5 gallons still in your tank. Also read up on OPDA and get a trans cooler. I've got a 2006 and been down the same road.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts