Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the scattered information but ive tried a lot with no success. Had a 3" lift installed when I bought the jeep and have had DW twice since Ive had her, but I've replaced the track bar, steering stabilizer, with somewhat improvement but it still likes to wander. When I get up to 40-45 I can "feel" her start to shimmy like a pre-DW sorta thing.

Things I've noticed:
*sway bar bushings seem loose - sway bar moves up and down
*control arm bushings have 1/16" play in them
*body mount bushings are cracked/warped

Now is there anything that you guys notice with the front end that seem out of place or need replaced to fix my issue

Things ,

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly enough, I haven't. I assumed it was more of a worn/defective part :/

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The body mounts are a different deal. I would replace these OEM bushings with Urethane body mounts. I did, because mine were toast.

Crank down on those Control Arm bolts. You don't want any play, anywhere. This will most likely stop the oscillations.

Are those new tires? They won't be for long if you don't align your frontend tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have ur alignment checked, if ur caster is to low that can cause a wondering felling. Think of caster of a line drawn though the upper and lower ball joints. Line should be a few degrees angled to rear of jeep, think of the front forks on a bicycle. With taller springs and no change in control arms that angle will roll forward. May need new longer lower control arms to correct angle. Have fixxed a few that way at the shop I work at.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Have ur alignment checked, if ur caster is to low that can cause a wondering felling. Think of caster of a line drawn though the upper and lower ball joints. Line should be a few degrees angled to rear of jeep, think of the front forks on a bicycle. With taller springs and no change in control arms that angle will roll forward. May need new longer lower control arms to correct angle. Have fixxed a few that way at the shop I work at.
Take a look at the photos this guy posted. There is a visible gap between the mounts and the control arms. I once had worn control arm bushings that caused all sorts of wobble. Wobble just seems to look for a weak link and then magnify it for the driver to really feel it at the worst possible moments.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shimmies and wander is still there. So I got an alignment and balance, next on the list is replacing the sway bar links, I took a picture and just wanted to see if this is normal or just need longer sway bar links. I'm planning on making my own :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts