Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to lift my 05 lj soon,looking fos some opinions given my circumstanses.....
1.The jeep is not really a daily driver but needs to get me to the trails so road manners are a must.
2.lookin to run a 33x12.5
3.(this is the kicker) I will be towing my teardrop trailer quit a bit somtimes LONG distances 400mi plus so it must preform acoordingly...
4. lookin to stay under 2500$ if possable..
All sugestions/opinions welcome....
Thanx in advance!!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Planning to lift my 05 lj soon,looking fos some opinions given my circumstanses.....
1.The jeep is not really a daily driver but needs to get me to the trails so road manners are a must.
3.(this is the kicker) I will be towing my teardrop trailer quit a bit somtimes LONG distances 400mi plus so it must preform acoordingly...
Thanx in advance!!!!
bump

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I would suggestion looking at Clayton, TeraFlex and Full Traction for kits. All of them are great kits and just need to see what fits in your budget and plans. Look at the kits to see what included and what needs to be bought outside of the kit... I.E... SYE or CV Driveshaft....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Baitfish,

I've got 4" OME springs with Doestch shocks on mine. Put a JKS adjustable track bar on the front axle and run 33"s. Under $1000.00.

Haven't towed yet, but I wouldn't hesitate a minute..

Regards, Hamshog

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanx in advance!!!!
What kind of terrain are you wanting to use your jeep on?? There is alot of options, and most can fall within your budget. A 'trail' jeep can get away with a 2" BB, maybe add a 1" body. A 'rock' jeep would benefit from a 2" coil lift and 1" body, adjustable control arms, sway bar discos, adjustable track bars. Maybe you like dunes and will want by-pass shocks, air bumps, and long arms? I know I am just throwing out component names, but you get the idea.

Your tire choice will likely have to be a compromise depending on your offroad needs, or possibly run 2 sets.

For the trailer tow part, make sure you have the front and rear sway bars connected. You might want to consider air bags depending on what springs you end up with and how much wieght you have out back when loaded up.

How much does the teardrop weight, they're pretty light right? Thinking about braking..... the 4 discs are such an improvement, but still might be marginal with 33's, gear, and a trailer.

Lastly, is your gearing. Many get away with 33's on the stock 3.73's on the street and offroad, but I don't know how well it would pull a teardrop on the highway? Forgot to see if you had a 6sp or auto. 2 sets of tires may play into this too... smaller set for street/towing.

I bet you'll have a pretty fun camping/expedition rig regardless of the direction you go.

edit: I think most will agree, whatever you end up doing, try to keep it a low center of gravity build (commonly refered to as LCOG)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts