Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken my TJ in for drivetrain problems and have gotten them fixed but in this last check up the mechanic pointed out that my speedometer gear was shredded (photo attached).. the jeep runs great and like I said I've just had the drivetrain pretty much overhauled.. what would cause a malfunction such as this/ should I be worried? I know it's an easy fix. Unbolt the old and replace it with a new one but I rather not shell out $50 for the part and then have it get shredded again... thanks in advance for the help gents!

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
The only reason for that I can think of is someone rotated the speedometer gear housing too far which pushed that plastic gear too hard into the steel pinion gear underneath it. The speedometer gear housing position has to be clocked properly (rotated to the proper position) according to the speedometer gear's tooth count.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason for that I can think of is someone rotated the speedometer gear housing too far which pushed that plastic gear too hard into the steel pinion gear underneath it. The speedometer gear housing position has to be clocked properly (rotated to the proper position) according to the speedometer gear's tooth count.
So then all I'd need to do is replace this chewed speedometer with a new one.. I'm running 33x12.5 tires on a 4in lift and re geared axels (so I'm assuming I'd need a 39 tooth speedo gear?)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
What axle ratio do you have? That affects the required speedometer tooth count. A 39 would be correct if your axles have 4.56 in them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What axle ratio do you have? That affects the required speedometer tooth count. A 39 would be correct if your axles have 4.56 in them.
the previous owner I believe had them geared to with 4.10 or 4.56 he was running 35/37s at one point and I came down to 33s

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I'm no expert on speedo gears. Still haven't installed my new one after regearing, but does the fact that half the gear is chewed up mean that it may not have been installed all the way in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts