Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. 2006 LJ Rubicon with 44, 000 miles.
Driving around town the check engine light comes on.
I check the dash codes and have it double checked at O'Reilly's.
P1603
P1604
Is this a symptom of the PCM debacle?
TIA for all your help.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,395 Posts
There are a lot of people who ended up having to replace the PCM to cure those particular codes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah I just ordered a PCM for my '05 LJ. There is a nationwide back order on them so you might wanna get on the waiting list. It's been a week now that I am driving in "limp" mode waiting for the thing to come in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deuxlatch, mind if I ask you where you ordered the PCM from and the cost?
What were your symptoms?
My LJ runs fine. No symptoms of anything amiss. Just the CEL.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine started throwing codes last month. Started with Cam position sensor. Fixed it then threw low voltage. Fixed it then crank pos sensor, then o2 sensor, etc. When I got the hard shifts from 1st to 2nd and extended cranks to start is when I Googled the problem and that led me to this website. After chasing my tail and finding out the deeper issue with the PCMs I bit the bullet and got one from my local dealer because it has a 2yr warranty and they WILL honor it. Ordered it last week and it is supposed to be in today. I paid $1537 with the core charge but I plan to keep my old PCM and have it rebuilt as a spare.

Read through this whole post and you may get an idea of what you are up against:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/1st-to-2nd-hard-shifts-when-cold-2006-lj-1755777.html

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine started throwing codes last month. Started with Cam position sensor. Fixed it then threw low voltage. Fixed it then crank pos sensor, then o2 sensor, etc. When I got the hard shifts from 1st to 2nd and extended cranks to start is when I Googled the problem and that led me to this website. After chasing my tail and finding out the deeper issue with the PCMs I bit the bullet and got one from my local dealer because it has a 2yr warranty and they WILL honor it. Ordered it last week and it is supposed to be in today. I paid $1537 with the core charge but I plan to keep my old PCM and have it rebuilt as a spare.

Read through this whole post and you may get an idea of what you are up against:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/1st-to-2nd-hard-shifts-when-cold-2006-lj-1755777.html
Could you post the part number of your 2005 original PCM? I would appreciate this info. (As I recall my 2005 is a 529AC w/ 528AH update). I sould add it has not had any issues. I also have an automatic.

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can get a super chip that has a windshield mound or a dash mount. You can keep a eye on your entire engine and transmission. Plus you can check your codes and clear them. Best $400 investment I ever spent on my Rubicon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Could you post the part number of your 2005 original PCM? I would appreciate this info. (As I recall my 2005 is a 529AC w/ 528AH update). I sould add it has not had any issues. I also have an automatic.

thanks
Mine is also a 529AC but I have the 528AE update.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Search this board. This has been covered. You have major problems. Hopefully, a new pcm will help you.

The general consensus is to buy a pcm and have all the work done through the dealer ship. It will be expensive, over $1.5 k but you will have a warranty.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Funny thing, this all happened a month after I replaced my OPDA with the Crown unit and used an OEM sensor. I put a washer between the sensor mount and the OPDA housing to space the distance between the sensor and the rotor and my Jeep has never run better. Been a week now and no CEL or hard shifting or extended cranking in the morning. My new PCM is still sitting on my bench in the unopened box. I hope I didn't just spend $1550 on a PCM when a 10cent washer fixed my issue. Time will tell.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Funny thing, this all happened a month after I replaced my OPDA with the Crown unit and used an OEM sensor. I put a washer between the sensor mount and the OPDA housing to space the distance between the sensor and the rotor and my Jeep has never run better. Been a week now and no CEL or hard shifting or extended cranking in the morning. My new PCM is still sitting on my bench in the unopened box. I hope I didn't just spend $1550 on a PCM when a 10cent washer fixed my issue. Time will tell.
There are many here hoping you did (buy a PCM you did not need). I am one. My apologies for this. I hope you never need that PCM.

Just in case and for my future ref. What was the part number on the 2005 PCM?

·
Registered
434 Posts
There are many here hoping you did (buy a PCM you did not need). I am one. My apologies for this. I hope you never need that PCM.

Like I said I haven't opened the box, just in case I need to return it. I will check tonight when I get home to see if the part number is written on the outside of the box.

·
Registered
434 Posts

The PCM model number on the box is R604 4529 AC - 001 so it's exactly what I have on my Jeep now. The stealership ran my VIN to get the exact part number. Like I said I'm going to see if the CEL comes back on before I install the new one.

Reactions: neo-fight
1 - 13 of 13 Posts