Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
With just those two choices I'd go with the 08. But have you looked at a new 2door? By the time you figure financing and payments into it you could probably get a new one for a little more. 2012 and up are a much better engine and tranny platform epically if you intend to lift or mod it at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I debated the whole gamut with jeeps to the point of not buying last year out of fear of buyers remorse- the 12's and newer are ideal - I just struggle choking down 20k for a 12 when i can get a 15 for a few grand more. This will just be a weekend fun ride - so I decided a 25-30k loan for a toy I will use a couple of times a month is irresponsible. Those two I posted seem to be the sweet spot of price.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I debated the whole gamut with jeeps to the point of not buying last year out of fear of buyers remorse- the 12's and newer are ideal - I just struggle choking down 20k for a 12 when i can get a 15 for a few grand more. This will just be a weekend fun ride - so I decided a 25-30k loan for a toy I will use a couple of times a month is irresponsible. Those two I posted seem to be the sweet spot of price.
Don't know what your doing Wednesday evening but we have a meet and greet at Rock n brews starts around 5:30 ish. You can see just about everything you could be interested in and talk to actual folks about what your planning.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Between those two and without looking at all the details I'd probably go with the TJ. I'd guess cost to own, maintain and mod moving forward will be much less.

FYI - If I was in the market in that price range, I'd definitely hold out for an LJ. - you'll get a little more room and it's destined to be a highly sought after model as time goes on.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Between those two and without looking at all the details I'd probably go with the TJ. I'd guess cost to own, maintain and mod moving forward will be much less. FYI - If I was in the market in that price range, I'd definitely hold out for an LJ. - you'll get a little more room and it's destined to be a highly sought after model as time goes on.
I agree with the LJ option!

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
An LJ would be nice. I am partial to the JKs (JKU for me) for the extra leg room, wider stance and I just like the way the look better. Come out tonight and talk to us.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
What are you going to do with it? If you're going off road I'd buy the rubi for the axles and transfer case. If you're looking for a convertible SUV to go to the beach I'd still buy the rubi. :)

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Honestly...having had a TJ for 11 years and now having TWO JKs....since the '08 is prior to the '12 Pentastar engine, and the different tranny...I would go RUBI......if it was a '12 or newer JK I would than go with the JK....GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Honestly...having had a TJ for 11 years and now having TWO JKs....since the '08 is prior to the '12 Pentastar engine, and the different tranny...I would go RUBI......if it was a '12 or newer JK I would than go with the JK....GOOD LUCK!!
Yes. I might change my vote if it was new enough to have the pentastar and if he wasn't planning on going extreme enough that he'll need to replace the front axle next year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing crazy - I would like to go out on some runs with the group but not crawling or anything. The Rubi has a small lift already so i probably wouldn't do much more to it. I had a tj before in a prior life and loved it- wife hated it but that's her problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts