Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, really wish i knew about wranglerforum before i bought the se last summer. this 2.4l dodge neon engine variation sucks worse than anything i've ever driven. but, i've made my bed and now i have to sleep in it (trade-up for sport now will cost about $7,000, ouch).

from what i've read here, there are tons of mods people have tried, so here are a few i'm planning on:

- gears: i plan on throwing 31" bfg's on, maybe a 2" bb.
what size gears should i go after? low end torque is what i need more of, but also need to drive on the highway.

- 4.0l throttle body??: read that these were a good cheap mod for the 2.5, but not seen anyone say anthing about doing the same for the 2.4l neon powerhouse. anybody do this, or try to?

Anyone have any other suggestions, other than an engine swap?

Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Gears is the NUMBER ONE way to get more power out of your Jeep. It is going to cost a little, but it will give you the biggest performance gains. For 31's I would go with 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
339 Posts
ALL 4 cyl's have 4.10's already. Go to 4.88, its the most you can do with a Dana-Turdy (30)

Joe

Gears is the NUMBER ONE way to get more power out of your Jeep. It is going to cost a little, but it will give you the biggest performance gains. For 31's I would go with 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
what joe said^^

you have to remember that this is a 4 banger and not a 6 banger. if it was a 6 banger then 4.10's would be perfect but a 4 banger requires lower gears (hence they already come with 4.10's)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
ALL 4 cyl's have 4.10's already. Go to 4.88, its the most you can do with a Dana-Turdy (30)

Joe
I did not know that. What kind of a top speed will u get out of a 4 banger with 4.88s?

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
As scoob said they changed the gears on the 4 banger after the first year of that engine being in the Jeep. The first year is really sweet out of the box with 31's and 4.10 gears. For some reason they though that small power boost could push 3.73 gears. With 3.73 gears and 31's your Jeep will really turn into a slug.

As for what gearing. Don't do 4.88's with 31's. Too low of gearing and it will not be highway drivable. 33's and 4.88 are perfect. What I would suggest is 4.88's and 32's, no smaller. RPM's will be a bit high but not too bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, I like the sound of 32's and 4.88 gears. Hopefully she'll have a little more kick than the stock setup now. Anybody know approx. what speed that will top out at on the highway, while turning around 3,000 rpm's or so?

·
Registered
27 Posts
NOT TRUE

This was the case a couple years ago. But in late 05 and all 06 models with a standard tranny 3.73 is the stock gearing.
I wish that was the case. My 2005 SE 6 speed was made 02/05 and it has 3.73's making 6th gear practically useless unless you're on level ground and no headwind. It turns about 3,000 rpm at 75 mph. I'd love to get bigger tires but I'd have to go to at least 4.10's

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
That is a late 05. They stop making them in june or july.
An early 05 would have been made in sept-oct of 04

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is a late 05. They stop making them in june or july.
An early 05 would have been made in sept-oct of 04
Yeah, I wasn't thinking. You can usually buy the next years model starting mid-year prior. Why'd they bother with a lower 1st gear on the 6 speeds and then raise the axle ratio? Kinda stupid. I should have done some ratio calculations before I bought. I still love my Jeep though. How much should it cost to replace with 4.10's anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts