Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tj 06 auto 4.0 33" all terrains. I was going to regear to 4.88 but I did a quick check for a dana 44 housing on Craigslist. Long story short is this, I bought a tj dana 44 arb 456 gears, hp dana 30 arb 456 gears? Harness and compressor for 3k. They seem to be in great shape. My question is I have 3:73 right now in factory axles, should I sell what I bought and look for other housings and have the Right gears put in. Or run them knowing their not the greatest but better than what I have now. In my reasoning I though they were cheap and close to 4.88. But I'll let you experts chime in before the swape. Thanks

Reactions: exboomer

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ya bought em, so you may as well install them. Will be much better than the 3.73's. Ideally, 33's and the auto is a min of 4.88, I'd do 5.13's personally. If you find the 4.56 to be not enough, you can easily re-gear then sell off the gear sets.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought a set like you with the auto 33" and 4.88s. Nice and can finally keep up to the speed limit but going even deeper would have been nice. The price for both was so good I could not pass it up so no complaints.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Better than current. But ideally 5.13 for auto.

Up to you, if you think you can recoup the cost and feel like getting your current regeared, then might as well get the gearing you want instead of settling.

I think it would be counter productive to install the new, only to regear. And certainly not the most cost effective.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Putting them in was my thought. But with the general consensus being 4:56 are going to make me not be able to use overdrive. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of anomaly that I would like less than the 3:73 because of shift points, gas mileage, losing a whole gear or something similar I don't know about.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I saw the very axles you bought quite a while before you did.... I also have a 42rle, 33's, and 3.73's....

I passed em up because they werent geared deep enough.... a buddy of mine has a set of 4.56 axles he'll give me for free and I passed them up too....

Nuff said?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to get some more opinions on this. Has anyone had both, same jeep 4:56 then 4:88, then maybe 5:13. I read 3:73 to 4:10 is not worth the money is 4:56 to 4:88 worth the trouble of selling and buying again. I hate asking I wish I could try them both out without a full day of labor. Thanks guys

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
In the end it's just opinions..... you already know the general consensus...... if you keep asking long enough you are sure to find someone who will tell you they are great... at that point what do you know different than you know now? You already know that almost everyone says 4.56 gears aren't deep enough..... if you find out that someone says they are, it doesn't change a thing.....

I know you really want then to work but they really don't.... If you stay on the flat ground.... don't use cruise, and don't drive fast you can probably get away w them but if you set the cruise on 75 and or encounter a few hills you will be hating life w them....

Fwiw.... the math puts my od rpm w 4.88's lower than my 3rd rpm's w 3.73.... almost too low.... honestly I'm a little worried than 4.88 may not be low enough when I have a headwind and or steep hills......

You really don't want to be downshifting at high speed because od to 3rd is such a big jump....
Our transmissions suck bad....

One option you COULD consider is keeping those axles and swapping in an aw4... more money and work but WIN WIN otherwise

·
Registered
847 Posts
You're gonna have a hard time finding someone that has done all three of those ratios on the same rig. 4.56 will be much better than 3.73 but ideally you should be running 5.13. You have two great diffs with great lockers but less than ideal gear ratios. I would run them and save some dough for a gear swap later. I ran 4.56 in an XJ on 33's with the auto od. At the time it was the lowest ratio available for the 8.25 Chrysler diff. Would I have liked lower, absolutely but, it was certainly usable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The axles you bought have the ARB lockers, that alone is a nice upgrade/add-on (if you plan to off road it some day). So swapping axles might be worth it for now and then re-gear later. I think from what others have said you definitely want to go to min. 4.88 with that that tranny and 33's. Sounds like you got a pretty good buy on the axles so even if you re-sold them you could probably get all your investment back and then some.
If you don't need the ARB's then sell the axles and spend about half as much as for new gears. Just my opinion

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You're gonna have a hard time finding someone that has done all three of those ratios on the same rig. 4.56 will be much better than 3.73 but ideally you should be running 5.13. You have two great diffs with great lockers but less than ideal gear ratios. I would run them and save some dough for a gear swap later. I ran 4.56 in an XJ on 33's with the auto od. At the time it was the lowest ratio available for the 8.25 Chrysler diff. Would I have liked lower, absolutely but, it was certainly usable.
Note... the aw4 in an xj doesn't have the extreme steep od that the 42rle has... so his 4.56 that worked but not ideal would be the same as if you had 4.88's in your lj

Then add that the tj is heavier than an xj.... gets you even further from 4.56

·
Registered
404 Posts
I saw the very axles you bought quite a while before you did.... I also have a 42rle, 33's, and 3.73's....

I passed em up because they werent geared deep enough.... a buddy of mine has a set of 4.56 axles he'll give me for free and I passed them up too....

Nuff said?
I'll take them. Do they ship? 4.56 is fine for me.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Cheaper than the correct ratio or not, you're going to hate 4.56 with 33's and your 42RLE transmission. It'll "work" but you'll soon find that to be a frustrating combination. Like the 4.88 and 35's my 2nd TJ with its 42RLE transmission it came with. It's ok offroad but highway rpms are too low. The engine is alway either lugging or on the verge of lugging when the Overdrive is on. You'd have essentially the same too-low of a highway rpm with 4.56 and 33's with your 42RLE automatic.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'll take them. Do they ship? 4.56 is fine for me.
Yeah sure.... be one of his best friends for 15 years or so and help him work on his jeep a few hundred times... then help w his next build and crate the axles and you can ship em wherever you want

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess they will magically reappear on the Craigslist 😊

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bought another stock dana 44 with disk brakes and another hp 30. I am thinking about the 5.13 route unlocked. 4:56 didn't give me the YEA! I thought It might. So it's hard to amagine loving the 4:88's. All this is happening because I rented a minivan for vacation and was more fun to drive than my tj with 33's and 3:73s ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts