Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently lifted my 06 tj to a rc 3.25" suspension lift with 33s and 15" steel wheels. Took it for a ride today and noticed it didn't have all the power it used too. It's a 4.0 6cyl 6speed manual trans, don't know the gear ratios but I was wondering what else I have to do. Should I regear it? It should it been fine on stock gearing.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm running 4.56 with my 33s but I have a 5 speed. I love them, but most go with 4.88s with that ratio. Either check your diff for the gear ratio or simply send your vin to jeep and they'll send it back. One other option is to google it and pull up a chart with Rpms, tire size, and transmission. Should be easy to find and then go drive and check your speed.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would go with 4.56. the 6 speed 6th gear is only slightly different than the 5th gear in the 5 speed. (0.84 6th in 6 speed vs 0.79 5th in 5 speed). General rule of thumb for me in standard TJs is 4.10s are for 31s, 4.56 for 33s, 4.88 for 35s. But bare in mind that this is my own preferred ratios. My current TJ has 4.10s on 33s with a 5 speed and I find the RPMs in my preferred gears are just a little too low. 4.56 is right where I want it to be. If you do a lot of highway driving, I recommend 4.56. If you rarely see the highway, go 4.88. It will give you more low end grunt, and with the 6 speed you have an added gear for options when in town.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm running 4.56 with my 33s but I have a 5 speed. I love them, but most go with 4.88s with that ratio. Either check your diff for the gear ratio or simply send your vin to jeep and they'll send it back. One other option is to google it and pull up a chart with Rpms, tire size, and transmission. Should be easy to find and then go drive and check your speed.

Follow the link below and enter your VIN #. It will give you a build sheet for your Jeep, including the axle ratio.

Support Home Page

·
Registered
13,933 Posts
I would do 4.56 with 5 SPd but with 6 speed ultralight low 1st and little overdrive i.e. less overdrive that either 5 SPd I would do 4.11 on 6 SPd 4.0

·
Registered
137 Posts
My '06 has the stock 3:07 in the rear. Im assuming its same in front. I was surprised to find that it has 27.7" tires on it from the factory! A po put 31's on it and after reading this thread, it sounds like I need a regear. I hear the Rubicons had 31's with a 4:10 gear ratio. 3:07 to 4:10 sounds like a big jump in rpms to me! Just to make sure, we're talking about both axles right? It seems that with different gear ratios, you would run into problems when in 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Follow the link below and enter your VIN #. It will give you a build sheet for your Jeep, including the axle ratio.

Support Home Page

That's pretty cool, I've been looking for something like that to find out what gears I have. Just what I was afraid of, 3.07's. Says mine came from the factory with 225's, but it already had 235's on it when I bought it. I don't plan to go big, but I'd like 31's once these wear out. Guess I'll be saving up for gears before I worry about 31's...

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's pretty cool, I've been looking for something like that to find out what gears I have. Just what I was afraid of, 3.07's. Says mine came from the factory with 225's, but it already had 235's on it when I bought it. I don't plan to go big, but I'd like 31's once these wear out. Guess I'll be saving up for gears before I worry about 31's...
The stock sizes for the older wranglers, like you mentioned, are 215/75R15 and 225/75R15 which are basically 28's

I had 31's with the 3.07 factory gearing for a bit and it may not be completely unbearable for you, but you can count on your top gear being close to useless on the highway past 70MPH. You'll also lose a little low gear pep.... I went to 235/75R15 (29's) like you and it drives much more to my preference performance-wise on the street with the stock gearing.

Again, 31's may seem fine to you and since regearing is an expense beyond tires you may want to try them out on stock gearing before dropping the coin to regear. Just my 2c

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had 31's with the 3.07 factory gearing for a bit and it may not be completely unbearable for you, but you can count on your top gear being close to useless on the highway past 70MPH. You'll also lose a little low gear pep.... I went to 235/75R15 (29's) like you and it drives much more to my preference performance-wise on the street with the stock gearing.
This is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing! Get past 75mph and the Jeeps saying "What the hell are you doing?" I just replaced my 31s within the month, now I'm thinking maybe I should have looked at 29s...
Being my first Jeep and have no experience with other jeeps, I don't have any idea what is "normal".

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you think some day going to 35" tires. Go to 4:88 now, that's what I run. 4.5 inch rubicon express long arm with 35" and 4:88 gears. 05 unlimited 6-speed manual

1 - 16 of 16 Posts