Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through the numerous threads on this. Turns out the majority of them were from folks who were concerned because their gauge is a little above the halfway mark. My TJ is actually running hot, so wanted some advice.

I have an 06 Rubicon (4.0 w/ 6 spd) with 115k miles. Other than the lift, everything is stock when it comes to the mechanicals / cooling system. My problems started after adding my new winch. I'll add a picture below. Other than that, no other changes. I installed a new OEM Mopar water pump and 195 degree t-stat about 9 months ago, when the original water pump started leaking out of the weep hole.

I'm using an obdii reader through my phone to confirm the temps. Cruising at normal speeds it seems to do OK, but does get pretty warm. Probably around 215. Once I get into traffic, or let it idle at stop, it goes up from there. It gets up over 230 before I start moving again. The hood is too hot to touch. On the Jeep's temp gauge, when it gets to that point it jumps up into the red (260), and the "check gauges" light comes on.

My first thought is the fan. But upon visual inspection it's spinning/turning. I don't know if it's possible that it's not turning at enough RPM? Or if there's a way for someone like me to test it. My second thought is the t-stat, but it's 9 months old.

Any other ideas, or ways that a layman like myself can test some stuff?

·
Registered
281 Posts
hi it's because you are not getting enough airflow through the front with the winch on. the next time you go out try putting it in neutral and rev it up a little and see if that helps but that winch is blocking alot of air flow to the radiator.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Cruising at normal speeds it seems to do OK, but does get pretty warm. Probably around 215. Once I get into traffic, or let it idle at stop, it goes up from there. It gets up over 230 before I start moving again.

Fan clutch is the most common culprit in this situation.

hi it's because you are not getting enough airflow through the front with the winch on. the next time you go out try putting it in neutral and rev it up a little and see if that helps but that winch is blocking alot of air flow to the radiator.
Doubt it, the thousands of us that run winches would have the same problem

Reactions: Dirty TJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried a little test. Got the Jeep up to operating temp while idling without the radiator cap. First time I tried, I never really saw the coolant flowing through the radiator. Not sure if it was overfilled, but it was rolling out of the radiator. Overflow tank was at the "full" mark before I started. When I turned it off, it steamed and boiled out of the radiator. 2nd time I tried it with less coolant, I saw it flowing through the radiator, like I'd expect, then it stopped, and started rolling out the radiator again. So, I shut it down.

Another thing I noticed is that the bottom radiator hose very hot, just as hot as the top radiator hose. Shouldn't it be noticeably cooler?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just tried a little test. Got the Jeep up to operating temp while idling without the radiator cap. First time I tried, I never really saw the coolant flowing through the radiator. Not sure if it was overfilled, but it was rolling out of the radiator. Overflow tank was at the "full" mark before I started. When I turned it off, it steamed and boiled out of the radiator. 2nd time I tried it with less coolant, I saw it flowing through the radiator, like I'd expect, then it stopped, and started rolling out the radiator again. So, I shut it down.

Another thing I noticed is that the bottom radiator hose very hot, just as hot as the top radiator hose. Shouldn't it be noticeably cooler?
So you confirmed that it's not a good idea to run without a radiator cap.....LoL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might be a faulty thermostat, or a failing fan clutch.
Did you flush the coolant when you did the water pump?
Actually, no I didn't. It looked good, so I was lazy on that aspect.

So you confirmed that it's not a good idea to run without a radiator cap.....LoL
Ha. Yep. I figured that would be a good way to see if the coolant was flowing correctly. But, yes, radiator cap is now back on.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The majority of cooling problems are caused by one of two things: lack of coolant circulation, or lack of airflow across the radiator. If you overheat at all speeds, you probably have a coolant flow problem. If you overheat only at low speed/stop-n-go but do okay at moderate+ speed, you probably have an airflow problem.

Based on your description, I'd say you have an airflow problem. Somebody else suggested you check your fan clutch; I second that suggestion. From what you've said, that sounds like the most probable culprit.

And for the record, I feel a winch definitely impacts your cooling performance. My winch--which I always keep covered, plus there is a small light bar attached to the top of it--blocks 2/3 of my grille opening. Since installing the winch, I have noticed slightly elevated coolant temps when at freeway speeds, especially on hot summer days--I will often see 210-215 degrees on the interstate. But at slower speeds and/or while stopped, the fan is still able to move enough air to keep me at my normal ~ 205 degrees. Before I installed the winch and thus had not blocked my grille, I never went above 205 degrees ever, no matter how hot the ambient temp or how fast I was driving. FYI

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sherpa. That's where I was headed. And was wondering if the winch could be contributing.

Any recommendations on a stronger fan clutch that would be a direct swap for OEM, that might help out with the possible added air flow blockage of the winch?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Any recommendations on a stronger fan clutch that would be a direct swap for OEM
I have no specific recommendation to offer, sorry. If you're going to retain a mechanical fan, I would just get a new OEM-spec clutch and install it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I stand by my suggestion: if you're going to stay with a mechanical fan setup, I would keep it just like OEM. It is properly engineered to function well in all situations (assuming all your hardware is up to snuff).

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I don't have any problems with cooling, winch mounted, hwy speeds, city traffic, dead stop idle A/C on. Have OEM stock cooling system with new fan clutch. The hottest I've seen it get is 198* with scan tool plugged into OBD port, stays just under 210 on dash gauge.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Great news! Thanks for letting us know this fixed it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello N2fordmuscle, I am having the same issue, wondering if you could post a link to the fan clutch you installed? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hello N2fordmuscle, I am having the same issue, wondering if you could post a link to the fan clutch you installed? Thanks!
Go to nearest auto parts store, buy new FC. It's not a special part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts