Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Dud
First, I am new to the site, from Knoxville Iowa, old Marine Grunt, my first jeep experience was in the Marine Corps. Because of my hobbies, hunting, fishing, wilderness camping, and treasure/metal detecting, a jeep is a good tool for me. A year ago I decided to purchase a 06 wrangler unlimited two door, a little more room, however had to deal with a few issues.

The Problem?
My 06 unlimited 4.0 engine light is on solid. If I put seafoam in the tank the light will go off. After refilling gas and on the second tank, the engine light will come back on solid. Several times when I first start the jeep the engine will make banging noise and when I drive off, for about the first mile the solid engine light will flash and the engine will cut out for about a mile. After about a mile, the engine light will go back to solid, the engine will stop cutting out and runs ok. I did once had a code check and code reader only said catalyze misfire, I went ahead and cleared the code. After the first tank of gas the solid light returned and engine returned to this problem. This doesn’t make since, you would think this was a gas problem.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I did once had a code check and code reader only said catalyze misfire...
You don't need a code reader to read the codes on an '06. If you turn the key from off to run three times, the code(s) will display on the odometer readout. Perhaps you could do that and report the exact results.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You don't need a code reader to read the codes on an '06. If you turn the key from off to run three times, the code(s) will display on the odometer readout. Perhaps you could do that and report the exact results.
To elaborate, turn your key from off to on (without turning the engine over) three times in quick succession (within 5 seconds), leave it in the on position and wait for the code(s) to appear on the odometer readout. It should be a "P 0####" code(s). Just learned this trick, myself. Once you post the code(s) here, I think you'll have better luck identifying and treating your specific problem.

Welcome to WranglerForum!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
On an 06 you have 3 catalytic converters, two on the down pipes coming off of the manifold and one downstream before the muffler. The ones off of the manifold are known to go out and throw a code, my light has been on now for a year and a half for that reason and the only major problem is that it won't pass inspection. Everything else functions as it should it just throws a false bad reading. Your problem sounds like your downstream cat is breaking apart and the pieces are lodging in the cat restricting flow. This happened on my yj and it started with sputtering and ended when I figured out I was getting 5 MPG out of a 4cyl. The upstream cats come as a set and run about 1000 bucks but I've found some as low as 5-600 bucks. The cost doesn't outweigh the inspection ticket for me yet so I'll get around to replacing mine eventually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts