Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep has been doing this for a few weeks and it seems to be getting worse.
When I shift through the gears, the tachometer shows an increase in RPM's that don't seem to transfer to the wheels. It feels like the Jeep should be spinning but it's not. It doesn't matter which gear it's in. No smell of clutch burning either. A buddy told me to drive steady in any gear and then ride the brake to see what happens...the Jeep slows and the RPM's decrease. The RPM range where it usually does this is from 1700and goes up quickly to about 2200 RPM. Then it drops back to where it's supposed to be. Any ideas before I bring it into an overprices shop?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Moved your thread to the JK Tech Forum. You should receive more replies here.

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are experiencing some clutch slippage. With the transmission in any gear there is a solid mechanical link from the engine to the tires. The only place where there can be any slipping allowing the engine to rev up without accelerating is the clutch.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
RichL35 is right. You need a new clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout/pilot bearing) and flywheel. Start calling around to get quotes.

In my experience, a slipping clutch like that does not actually make a noticeable burning smell. A slipping clutch will be most obvious when the Jeep is under load and you're in a higher gear, like going up a hill around 25mph in third. Gunning the throttle will most definitely cause slip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I concur your clutch is starting to go. Make sure that whoever you have do the clutch replacement machines the flywheel and installs shims between the crankshaft and flywheel to make up the amount of metal removed from the flywheel during the machining. There is no adjustment to a hydraulic clutch, that is the only to get the clutch to work properly without buying a new flywheel.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I concur your clutch is starting to go. Make sure that whoever you have do the clutch replacement machines the flywheel and installs shims between the crankshaft and flywheel to make up the amount of metal removed from the flywheel during the machining. There is no adjustment to a hydraulic clutch, that is the only to get the clutch to work properly without buying a new flywheel.
Normally good advice - but not for the Wrangler. The flywheel cannot be machined. It is conical. Needs to be replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.