Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at what mileage should the rear or for that matter the front differential fluids be changed?
My oil guy is been after me and told me it should be done every 12.000 miles and would do you recommend for use? my Jeep's got 74.000 on it, by the way.
:wavey:

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Your owners manual will have the recommended frequency for fluid changes listed in it... My TJ interval is 12k, and it's quite likely that it's the same for JK's... I haven't looked ours up yet.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Manual says "change front/rear, at 36,000 miles when using off-road, or towing !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
170 Posts
My 2011 manual says:

48,000 Miles (78,000 km) or 36 Months Maintenance Service
Schedule
❏ Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
❏ Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before
48,000 miles (78 000 km).
❏ If using your vehicle for any of the following: Dusty or off-road conditions. Inspect the
engine air cleaner filter; replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the brake linings, replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the CV joints.
❏ Inspect exhaust system.
❏ Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for
damage, wear, improper looseness or end play; replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the front and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet,
off-road or frequent trailer towing.

That is the first time it is mentioned in the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:wavey:thanks everybody, and we all want to wish you a Very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!! ;);)

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Has anyone done this themselves? I have never changed dif fluid. Is there a Drain or should I just pop the cover off to drain it? And then is There a certain amount you put in? Do you fill it until it overflows or is there a dipstick to check fluid levels?

·
The Bad Guy
23,238 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts