Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most would say Why? Well I broke the steering box in my Bantam altered at a Megabucks race. Parts are on order. My local track was holding the National Dragster Challenge and the NHRA King of The Track on the same night. I wasn't going to miss it.

So after not racing a street car for 5 years, I decided to take the Jeep. My first pass was 17.830 @ 75.95 mph. I had a .054 light that I was extremely happy with since I had not footbraked a car in 5 years. I was staging at 1500rpm. We also had a strong head wind.

My 2nd time run was 17.837 @ 75.51mph with a .032 light.

1st round I dialed 17.83 to my opponents 12.34. I had a bad but better light my .087 to his .091. I had him covered, lifted and jabbed the brakes but it was too late. I must have done it right on the stripe since I broke out. I went 17.819 on the 83 dial. He was 12.36 on his 12.34. I was there first by .0384. So if I had lifted .02 seconds sooner, I would've had the win.

We had 1st round buybacks. That means for 1/2 the entry you can "buyback" into the race if you lose first round.

I gave the track $20 and I was back in. 2nd round, I raced a 90's fwd Buick. I bumped my dial down to 17.80. He dial 16.93. I killed the tree with a .020 to his .068. I pulled on him the first 1/2 track. Then he caught and passed me at about the 1000' mark. I ran him all the way to the finishline. When I got to the mph line, I dumped the gas and jabbed the brakes. It was too late for him to do anything. I pushed him out to a 16.84 on a 16.93. I went 17.89 on the 17.80 for the win. He got to the line .1294 before me.

3rd round I raced a late 90's Mustang. I bumbped my dial up to 17.86 to his 16.48. He was asleep at the wheel with his .129 light ot my .030. I had him covered all the way. I jumped on the brakes, backed into him and had a .0045 win margin. I'd liked to have a pic of that one. I went 18.01 t0 his 16.535.

4th round I raced "The Original Hot Rod Lincoln". I dialed 17.97 ot his 12.00. I figured he was sandbagging since the class has a 12.00 break. We both had garbage lights, My .111 to his .130.

For some reason the Jeep picked way up. I don't know if the wind died down or what happened. I had him covered big time but it's hard to judge his 110 mph ot my 75. I lifted but it wasn't enough. It was a double breakout but mine was worse 17.82 on a 17.97 to his 11.92 on the 12.00.

I got down to 7 cars in the class which usually pays cash but since this event was a prorated purse, I didn't get any cash. One more round would've paid $125. The runner-up got $250 and the winner $520.

I'll have more pics later.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Good stuff...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
thats badass man. i would love to do that in our jku

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats badass man. i would love to do that in our jku
Most tracks have a Test and Tune night. At Gateway Motorsports Park it's Wed nights. $25 gets you as many passes as you can make. Some times it's 5 or more sometimes fewer. It depends on the car count. All you need is a safe vehicle, long pants, no sleeveless shirt, and closed toed shoes. This year GMP made a rule that everybody wears a helmet. The actual NHRA rule is 13.99 and quicker needs a helmet. Check with your local track before going because rules may vary.

·
Registered
899 Posts
You are at the the track, why not see what the JKU can do. I have seen 4 cylinder K car station wagon and Horizons drag racing. I have even seen a late 90s Honda Accord out mudding.

It is fun to see how differnt vehicles do on the track or elsewhere.

There is a show on the speed channel (I think) where 3 guys guess the speed of different vehicles to win prizes. I saw a Wrangler as well as a tractor trailer drag racing. I find it amusing.

I just wish you had video of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bringing a jeep to the track just pisses off everyone there with real cars, nobody wants to wait in line for you to run 17s.
LOL, you must not be a bracket racer. There are all kinds of cars at a bracket night. In case you didn't notice, two of the cars I raced rand 16.93 and 16.34. One was 1 mph faster than me and the other was about 7 mph faster. Bracket racing is the most fair way to race. It takes the advantage away from the guy who wants to spend the most cash on his car and puts it in the hands of the best driver. Even the guys I beat came over to shake my hand. I went to the guy that beat me and congratulated him and gave him some advice about the car he had to race next round.

I have one of those "real cars". I have no problem with a person bringing out their factory stock street car and racing with us. Actually I encourage it. Everybody has to start somewhere.

If they don't want to wait for me, all they have to do is beat me.:D

Do you race?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
17.830 @ 75.95 mph........... damn I took a 96 Taho with 44 boggers 5:13 gears and stock 350 down the track one time and got a 18.2 an 77mph pass. I knew these things were slow but didnt relise just how slow they were.

It pulls pretty good at first but has no top end. I'm sure the 30mph head wind didn't help. My best 1/8 mile was 11.33. Take that times 1.5 and it should be a 16.995.

You're right though, it's no rocket ship. lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts