Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Threw a rod in the 07 JKU, searching for another 3.8. Junk yard tells me it’s a 07 only fit engine but can’t tell me why the 08 thru 13 won’t work, anybody know? Is it just electronics or what?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I’m not an expert but will say that in ‘12 the engine changed to 3.6l V6 and I think some other mechanicals changed as well, no clue on what level of complexity changing from 3.8l to 3.6l would be. Others on here will be able to say with great expertise. It seems that most who go to that trouble of changing versus replacing with same just go ahead and do the LS swap or maybe a Hemi or even Cummins. That could be confirmation bias though, so maybe just haven’t seen posts from people taking other paths.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not an expert but will say that in ‘12 the engine changed to 3.6l V6 and I think some other mechanicals changed as well, no clue on what level of complexity changing from 3.8l to 3.6l would be. Others on here will be able to say with great expertise. It seems that most who go to that trouble of changing versus replacing with same just go ahead and do the LS swap or maybe a Hemi or even Cummins. That could be confirmation bias though, so maybe just haven’t seen posts from people taking other paths.
Yes, you are correct, 3.8s only to 2011. But not sure why JUnk yard says 07 only. Other swaps not in the budget right now and always had enough power to do anything I need it for anyway. I trail/dune ride in summer and plow snow in winter. Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, you are correct, 3.8s only to 2011. But not sure why JUnk yard says 07 only. Other swaps not in the budget right now and always had enough power to do anything I need it for anyway. I trail/dune ride in summer and plow snow in winter. Thanks
I hear you on the budget. I honestly can’t imagine why anything from 07-11 wouldn’t work and be quite affordable. Like you I never had a shortage of power off road, though I’m not the most aggressive. On road... I’m happy I added some oomph with my SC! Good luck. I’ll be interested to hear resolution tot he question though. My curiosity is piqued...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did a 3.8 swap last winter. It’s not all that bad.
The junkyard is wrong. The 07 3.8 has a few oddball things on it, but plenty of people have swapped in later model 3.8 engines with no problem at all.

I chose to do a rebuilt long block.
That way I could add a few upgrades for better reliability.
Upgraded pistons and rings to eliminate oil usage that some factory 3.8s had.
Upgraded Melling oil pump for better lubrication.

I was hesitant to go through all the work to install a used engine and not know what I was getting.

Honestly, the long block price was close to what the junkyard is getting for a used engine.

Long block is more labor, but I know what I have and it runs great. IMG_1366.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great decision on using a rebuilt long block if you gotta spend that much on a junk yard engine anyway. I will definitely be doing that if I can’t come up with a decent used engine for 1,000.00 or less. I might have a 3.8 in the works from a shop around Detroit that does LS swaps,
for 1,000 keeping fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts