Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mother has an 07 wrangler and it burns oil excessively, she's taken it to the dealership multiple times, and to different mechanics multiple times, and the problem hasn't stopped...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So what have the dealer and the shops offered to do? Just taking it to a shop won't make it stop. Short of having either the heads or the whole engine rebuilt, there's not much you can do. Many things can cause oil consumption; bad valve seals, gaskets, worn cylinders, worn piston rings. Your best bet may be to replace the engine with a remanufactured one.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yup, Mine burns too.....Doesn't smoke ( catalytic converter) it's been said that the repair for this is NEW piston Rings. Several here have had Oil Consumption tests done and failed so the piston rings were replaced. Mopar says 1 quart consumption every 1000 miles is "NORMAL"...
I changed the oil from that terrible 5w-20 oil to a more suitable 10W-30 syn -blend Castrol high milage oil.... Works great I only add about a quart now between oil changes.
There are a ton of oil threads here, the know it alls beat it to death...
Thing is, it's your Jeep, if you can't drive it without running it out of oil ( Spins the rod bearings !! ) Then you have to do what you have to do....I suggest you change the oil brands and weights until you find a oil your engine likes, and stick with it...
Good Luck...... "BH"

·
Registered
374 Posts
Try switching to 10W30 vs 5W20 if the dealership/shops are not doing anything. 10W30 oil slowed my oil consumption to near none existent on my current 08 between oil changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what have the dealer and the shops offered to do? Just taking it to a shop won't make it stop. Short of having either the heads or the whole engine rebuilt, there's not much you can do. Many things can cause oil consumption; bad valve seals, gaskets, worn cylinders, worn piston rings. Your best bet may be to replace the engine with a remanufactured one.
Thank you!

I just got a '08' Jeep Wrangler, this past May and I'm having this issue (burning through a quart of oil every week). I took it to the dealership, they've had for 4 days now and I've just received a call that they can't figure out where the leak is coming from or why it's burning the oil so quickly. Thank god i thought of getting the extended warranty as well!

I'll be sure to ask them about the items you listed!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
So my mother has an 07 wrangler and it burns oil excessively, she's taken it to the dealership multiple times, and to different mechanics multiple times, and the problem hasn't stopped...
If she's the original owner you're covered under the limited lifetime powertrain warranty if the JK was purchased on or after 7/26/07. If that's not the case and the repair is on the owner, you can try going to 5w30 or 10w30, replace the PCV and see if that helps or takes care of it. Most likely the oil is pushing through the rings. Anytime there's high oil consumption starting with the oil and PCV is the least expensive possible fix and sometimes it works. Keep in mind that Chrysler believes using 1 qt of oil every 1K miles up to 50K and 1 qt every 750 miles after, is within spec. for a 3.8. Hopefully from May you got it resolved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts