Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background info: Bought the x model 3 weeks ago. Clutch smelled burnt after taking it off road a few times.

So I got stuck in some thick mud. Tried rocking the jeep back and forth a few times and all of a sudden I heard a "pop" as if a rod snapped or something. The clutch pedal went straight to the floor and I can't engage any gears now. It can still start but the idle sounds jacked up. It feels as though the clutch pedal isn't connected to anything anymore.

I'm towing it out either tonight or tomorrow morning and taking it in somewhere but I wanted the forum's opinion.

Any ideas what it could be?

-Patrick

·
Registered
785 Posts
How deep in mud ? Should never use the clutch in mud. So either you got mud in the bell housing or the slave cylinder gave up, ...., or both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It turned out to be the throw out bearing and pretty much the whole clutch. It was in pieces. I was in pieces. My bank account is in pieces.

What do you mean don't use the clutch in mud? It was just a foot of mud and I definitely would have gotten out if the clutch didn't disintegrate into oblivion lol.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It turned out to be the throw out bearing and pretty much the whole clutch. It was in pieces. I was in pieces. My bank account is in pieces. What do you mean don't use the clutch in mud? It was just a foot of mud and I definitely would have gotten out if the clutch didn't disintegrate into oblivion lol.
12" is probably enough to do it.
If the clutch is in mud, you don't press the pedal. If you press the pedal it opens up the clutch allowing mud and debris to go between the clutch and pressure plate. Then when you release the clutch, it closes onto the mud and debris you just allowed in. This can cause problems including catastrophic failure of the clutch. The bell housing is not sealed. It's got at least two vent holes on the bottom. I have only seen the bottom of mine so far. Water (clean water) isn't a huge concern, may cause some slippage for a little bit, but dirty water ie. Mud. Is a concern.

Never press clutch while it is submerged. #1 rule.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes perfect sense. These things I do not know. Is there a thread for tips like that on this forum? I'd like to know more about off roading and it seems as though by personal experience is a risky way to learn a lot of these things.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
You burned out the clutch because you were in 4H. Use 4L off road to save your clutch.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Try a search, I'm sure there is. 4lo will help like daggo said. Less riding the clutch. You can pretty much leave it in gear and just give it has when needed. "Pretty much" take note of that please.
Speed will affect what gear you need to be in.
Know how deep you can go, that's important. If you have a snorkel, that's great, but are your breather lines extended? You will find a list of what you need to do to prevent costly repairs in the future. Most of it is common sense, but there are little details that can ruin your day that may not be common sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts