Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I bought a 08 Rubi JKU about two weeks ago and now and I am in love with it. However, the previous owner only took very mild care of the suspension. The engine and tranny run right as rain, and the tranny has some rust but the motor looks damn near new. The suspension is a whole other story. I plan to take her to the Rubi Trail and Moab etc etc. So I want to overhaul pretty much the whole suspension eventually and I was hoping to get some feedback about priority and maybe some recommended parts. So a run down so far:

3" lift kit from skyjacker with a single steering stabilizer and skyjacker shocks
35's brand new (will stay with these for a while)
OEM control arms (and I feel it in the ride)
Really rusted driveshaft and axle housings
Jacked up alignment (driver side pull and passenger side lean)

I found a local shop that has Dana 60 crate axles for about $1400 a piece or the 44's for $1700. A lot of the issue right now for the bigger jobs is that I have all the tools, and absolutely nowhere and nobody to work with out here in SoCal. I don't have a ton of money, but I make a decent living to definitely take better care of this thing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I bought my 08 JKUR used a few years ago and it had a 4" Skyjacker lift. It didn't drive well and I eventually replaced it with a 3.5" Rock Krawler suspension. There are good threads on this forum about different lift kits and the pros & cons of them. I also upgraded my entire front suspension over time.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/lifting-your-jk-298665.html

As far as the the rusted drive shafts and axle housing that is normal. I sanded down my axle housings and repainted them with black spray paint to get them looking good again. I'll touch them up every so often. I left the drive shafts alone and that small amount of surface rust won't have any negative effects on it. Some people use Fluid Film on them when they are new & without rust which helps prevent the rust from forming.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-end-all-fluid-film-thread-1267809.html

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think replacing the axles is not necessary sand and paint should make them look nice, swap the skyjacker for a teraflex 3" or rock krawler 2.5" get at least new front lower control arms and front track bar and rear track bar bracket and a set of rancho 9000xl shocks or bilstein 5100s, replace the ball joints with a set of dynatrac or synergy, check the drive shafts CV boots, if those are busted replace the drive shafts with some double cardan U-joint style drivesafts, regear 5.13 for auto 4.88 for manual.

get an alignment at an offroad shop that knows how to set you up with the right caster with the front adjustable lower control arms.

in the long run if youre gonna wheel it hard and keep the stock 44s possibly go to 37s, you might want to do C-gussets and truss.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Iphone pictures 328.jpg

you can see my drive shaft looks really rusty, they are still good though.but I will most likely replace the front in the next year or so, since I have a 2dr it makes contact with my skid at driver side full droop.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Hey everyone,

So I bought a 08 Rubi JKU about two weeks ago and now and I am in love with it. However, the previous owner only took very mild care of the suspension. The engine and tranny run right as rain, and the tranny has some rust but the motor looks damn near new. The suspension is a whole other story. I plan to take her to the Rubi Trail and Moab etc etc. So I want to overhaul pretty much the whole suspension eventually and I was hoping to get some feedback about priority and maybe some recommended parts. So a run down so far:

3" lift kit from skyjacker with a single steering stabilizer and skyjacker shocks
35's brand new (will stay with these for a while)
OEM control arms (and I feel it in the ride)
Really rusted driveshaft and axle housings
Jacked up alignment (driver side pull and passenger side lean)

I found a local shop that has Dana 60 crate axles for about $1400 a piece or the 44's for $1700. A lot of the issue right now for the bigger jobs is that I have all the tools, and absolutely nowhere and nobody to work with out here in SoCal. I don't have a ton of money, but I make a decent living to definitely take better care of this thing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Wow! care to share the info on the Shop with the dana 60's for $1400???

:whacky:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts