Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 Jeep Wrangler 2-door with a slight death wobble. It has 80,000 miles on it. All suspension bolts and bushings look tight. Tires have about 5,000 miles left on them. Any suggetions on how to eliminate this problem?:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Take your front trackbar off and look at the bolt hole. Check to see if its ovaled out. The bolt could be tight but if its a bad hole it won't help

Also idk if you can have "slight" death wobble. I think you either have it or you don't and if you do have it you might have to carry spare underwear. From what I've heard, it can be that bad

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
There's no such thing as a "slight" death wobble.

DW is an immediate, tremendous, violent problem that requires you to come to nearly a full stop to get it to quit.

You have another problem--tires out of balance perhaps. Review that thread carefully. :thumb:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no such thing as a "slight" death wobble.

DW is an immediate, tremendous, violent problem that requires you to come to nearly a full stop to get it to quit.

You have another problem--tires out of balance perhaps. Review that thread carefully. :thumb:
I guess i stated that wrong about dw. it nearly threw me out of the jeep.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
unodog4 said:
I guess i stated that wrong about dw. It nearly threw me out of the jeep.
Ahh, that sounds more like it. Regardless, study the above linked thread--it'll take you through all the diagnostics.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have some play in the trac bar bolts. do I need to replace the bolts with larger ones to offset the difference in hole size?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
unodog4 said:
I do have some play in the trac bar bolts. do I need to replace the bolts with larger ones to offset the difference in hole size?
You should look into the Synergy kit that replaces all the Tb and lower CA boys with stronger shouldered 9/16 bolts.
If the holes in the mounts are ovaled/worn out, washers welded on to close the holes or you can buy HD brackets from any of the lift manufactures.

There is a sticky if you haven't seen it.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am new to the jeep world so bear with me, the tb stands for track bar what does the ca stand for? Were would you suggest buying the parts to correct this problem? After taking the track bar completely out this afternoon I was able to determine that the bushings were worn and the bolt holes were badly worn larger. Would welding the correct size washer be the easiest, and having some heavy duty bushing repressed into the track bar work? Thanks

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
unodog4 said:
the tb stands for track bar what does the ca stand for?
"Control arm." The synergy kit referenced by kjeeper replaces the stock track bar bolts as well as stock lower control arm bolts with better quality, shouldered bolts. (Pretty irresponsible by jeep to use fully threaded bolts in this application IMO.)

unodog4 said:
Were would you suggest buying the parts to correct this problem?
Review this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/the-importance-of-changing-out-stock-bolts-128154.html

unodog4 said:
After taking the track bar completely out this afternoon I was able to determine that the bushings were worn and the bolt holes were badly worn larger.
As I understand death wobble, this is almost certainly your problem. You found the cause. That puts you way ahead of most folks who encounter this issue.

unodog4 said:
Would welding the correct size washer be the easiest, and having some heavy duty bushing repressed into the track bar work?
Don't have an answer for this one. Looks like kjeeper was thinking washers or brackets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help. would those heavy duty brackets you are talking about have to be welded on, or are they a bolt on assembly? Also is there a specific band that would work better than the other? Just trying to make this thing as safe as possible, my wife drives it as well.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
unodog4 said:
Thanks for the help. would those heavy duty brackets you are talking about have to be welded on, or are they a bolt on assembly? Also is there a specific band that would work better than the other? Just trying to make this thing as safe as possible, my wife drives it as well.
Good question.

I don't think there is a bolt on for the axle side mount that keeps the TB in the stock position. Frame side there is a bolt on available.
Synergy is a popular product but HD brackets are made by most manufactures.
Arctic is inexpensive and is also very popular but I think their mounts are weld on. I looked for a axle side bolt on before I decides on a drag link flip and Tb relocation. You need 3-4" of lift though for it to work.

Edit-
I think synergy makes a frame side bracket that also braces the sector shaft.
You have a few options. Contact Jason @ Krawl off road tomorrow.He would be able to help you more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still searching for the easiest fix. Has any one seen the death wobble kit offerered by kevins off road world? his web site shows an entire kit that eleminated dw. if any one has time check it out and give me you opinion. best way to get there is to google dw and it one of the first ones to come up. Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
You should look into the Synergy kit that replaces all the Tb and lower CA boys with stronger shouldered 9/16 bolts.
If the holes in the mounts are ovaled/worn out, washers welded on to close the holes or you can buy HD brackets from any of the lift manufactures.

There is a sticky if you haven't seen it.
Is this the kit you are referring to?:
Synergy Suspension 8050-01 - Synergy Suspension F911 Upper Control Arm Hardware Kit for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I want to make sure I'm on the right page here.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts