Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to adjust the clutch? When cold I get a small grind shifting to 2nd. I am positive I have the clutch all the way to the floor. Maybe a little tightening would help. Just don't know how. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
No adjustment, but that may be a sign of a failing clutch slave cylinder, a common problem on JKs.

Check for fluid leaks on the driver side of the transmission, either at the slave cylinder (black plastic thingy) or at front of transmission.

Another telltale sign is a lower fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i get the same issue when cold with mine. but i also have issues shifting into first from N, hot or cold. I changed my slave and master cylinder, but still problem persisted.

after doing some prelim research I think its the PP tongues. no squeals from a down clutch pedal so its prob not bearings(pilot/TO).

when clutch and FW fail to disengage fully you get engine torque that is still transferred to clutch, making it tough to stick it in gear. I used to have to shut her down at a stop light, gear in, then engine on. lol.

If you shift a lot. daily driver status, PP tongue wear might be an issue...

still happening?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch

Thanks JG,
I am learning to live with my cold shift issue. Double clutch or take an extra second in the shift avoids the scratch of gears. Will post more if I discover the cause.
cheers,
gt

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
These transmissions crunch in 2nd from brand new.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Make sure you check the level of the fluid in the transmission.When I went to change mine, I pulled the fill plug first (always make sure that you can pull the fill plug before the drain plug) and I could not feel any fluid with my finger. Also might be having some wear on the synchros as well. Mileage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts