Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just bought a 2009 jeep wrangler X, I can not seem to figure out how to get my doors off. I have read that you need to unscrew the torx, but there does not seem to be one on my doors. there looks to be a small pin in the hinge??? any thoughts?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi all, I just bought a 2009 jeep wrangler X, I can not seem to figure out how to get my doors off. I have read that you need to unscrew the torx, but there does not seem to be one on my doors. there looks to be a small pin in the hinge??? any thoughts?
There should be a torx on the bottom of the hinge...

if there isn't, try opening the door pretty wide and lifting it.

If it doesn't budge, I suppose it could be some aftermarket thing in there.

I know on my 2008, the door will not lift unless its pretty wide open. Dunno if that helps you, but I hope it does.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Previous owner probably didn't replace the torx bolt. Many just leave them off.

Undo the electronics connection and remove the retention strap, and lift away.

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried like hell to lift them off, wont budge. when i look at the bottom of hinge where the torx screw would go, there seems to be some kind of pin in the center of the hole, and doesnt look like a screw af any kind could get in there...

·
Registered
76 Posts
The bushings are ceased. There's a couple of ways to get them off. 2by4 under bottom of the door and pull up. Be very carefull that the 2by4 doesn't bend the bottom of the door. When I couldn't get mine off I bought new bushings and unbolted the hinge from inside the door and then hammered the hinge pin out and replaced the bushings. After that keep white lithium grease in the bushings and should slide off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine stuck pretty bad at first too. I just used lots of WD40 and some muscle and they eventually slid right off. Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone, hopefully tomorrow Ill get em off.
Already glad I joined this site

·
Registered
553 Posts
new to this, how do i post a pic?
When you're making a post, above the text editing area there is the little 'A' for fonts, and the smilely face for smiley facing... and there is a paper clip.

The paper clip lets you attach an image.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks for the tips everyone, hopefully tomorrow Ill get em off.
Already glad I joined this site
Its a great community.. just be sure you read carefully, because there are a TON of opinions, but facts can be scarce. Do your homework, and use google like a pro - this can be a very helpful site, but there are some cases where you're reading pure weapons grade BS... so always research.

Welcome aboard and happy jeeping! :dance:

·
Registered
485 Posts
My old LJ doors came right off, I took the doors off of my new to me 07 JKU the other day, it took me almost an hour to get them off. I just opened the door all the way and pulled up until there was a little gap, sprayed a little lubricant in there, pushed the door back down and wiggled the door back and forth. Just kept doing it over and over again until they finally came off. I didn't feel comfortable about using a jack or 2X4 for the fear of damaging the doors. Took a little time but they came off and no damage. Take your time and see if a friend will help you. You don't want them coming off when you are pulling on them with everything you've got and it falling on the driveway

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the doors off! a little WD-40 and some muscle and they came right off. Thanks everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts