Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a '97 with 1/2 doors. Had no problems with the door lock until today. My key does not turn in the lock sometimes. I don't think it is the key that is worn because I tried my spare key and it did the same? Worn key cylinder? How hard is it to pull the door lock to take a look to see if one of the pins are stuck? How do you remove the lock?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Clean and lubricate the lock cylinder... Did it get colder on you recently? Temperature will negatively impact the function of dirty lock cylinders :D

Never clean lock cylinders with products that leave a film or residue. ... Electrical
contact cleaning products work great on lock cylinders. Carb cleaner or Gumout will work also, but be careful of the painted surfaces.

If you can find some Medeco Key Lube it is what locksmith's recommend to lubricate the cylinder, as it doesn't leave a residue that'll gum up on you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lock the 1/2 doors because I have a hardtop and sliders in the winter.

I normally use WD40 every winter and never have had any problems. Probably should have stuck to this?

I sprayed some dry lube by Liquid Wrench into the cylinders a couple of weeks ago. The cans said it leaves a dry film of lube and was great for locks. I wonder if that has anything to do with the problem? Temps dropped from about 45 degrees to 35 degrees the last couple of days also.

I have a few Medeco locks so finding some Medeco Key Lube is probably a good idea. I might try starting from scratch by spraying some carb or electrical cleaner and lube with Medeco Key Lube. How about dry graphite?

Hopefully that will fix the problem. Otherwise I will have to take the lock out and have a new cylinder re-keyed to the same key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts