Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '15 JK that I just lifted 2.5" (TF suspension w/Rancho 9000s). My master plan was to get the 2.5" suspension lift (DONE!), then a 1" body lift both for a little more fender/tire clearance (I'm planning on running 35s) and for the look. I asked me Jeep guy if he sold and installed 1" body lifts and he said no, they were too dangerous if you get into a wreck. And to be clear, this is most definitely my DD, commutes, road trips, etc.

So I understand how a TALL body lift could be dangerous in a wreck and in general just isn't a great idea, but I had convinced myself that a 1" body lift wouldn't be problematic. Is it really that big a deal? Are they just being overly cautious? I'm thinking of going elsewhere (behind his back!!! haha) but thought I'd bounce it off you guys and gals if his warning is one that should be heeded after all.

~ k

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had a 1.25" BL on my LJ, and I don't think it let or behaved in any way different. I couldn't imagine it's any risk with such a mind body lift and properly rated bolts.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think you're asking the wrong crowd about body lifts. Compared to other vehicles Jeep Wrangler are more top heavy. Anything you do to lift a Wrangler even more will only add to that condition.
Wranglers are tall, but a body lift doesn't increase the center of gravity as much as a comparable suspension lift since the frame and powertrain are not lifted.

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
I have a 3" lift that I recently added a TeraFlex BL to. Still on the fence on whether I'll keep it based on looks.

As far as performance I notice a small difference in roll/feel. But it's not bad. Research how the body attaches then compare to the Teraflex BL and make your own choice as far as safety. It's an easy mod that can be easily undone if you change your mind.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
I got a 3" suspension with a 1.25" Body Lift on mine and mine drives fine. I'm running 17x9 wheels with 1.5" spacers. I've had this setup for going on 2 yrs and love how it drives and it doesn't feel top heavy and has never given me any issues. Also running 35x12.5-17 tires

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hasn't killed me in 3 years soo....

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The OP is asking if body lifts are "dangerous if you get into a wreck". I don't think the "I drive around fine with my body lift" posts are helping the OP. Lol

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
The OP is asking if body lifts are "dangerous if you get into a wreck". I don't think the "I drive around fine with my body lift" posts are helping the OP. Lol
Well no one I know who has s 1.5" body lift or less has ever ran into any issues with them being dangerous or having issues with them being top heavy. Its when you get into the 2" or better body lifts that you start running into issues with bolts shearing off and the jeep feeling top heavy. Its all about how you set it up if it's going to feel top heavy anyway. If you leave stock wheels on a Jeep and raise the suspension and throw on a body lift the jeeps going to feel top heavy. If throw on some wider wheels and tires with it, your going feel how much better the jeep handles and it will be less top heavy.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I had one on the JK and all 3 TJs and not one issue. In most cases it opened the door for other options. This pic is 2.5" AEV and 1.25 BL.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
why body lift when you can suspension lift with better results?
The "better results" part is subjective. I'm not a body lift advocate by any means, but I do think they've gotten a bad rap.

If the result one is looking for is more tire clearance, a body lift might be just the ticket while a suspension lift (or more suspension lift) could be wasteful and a disadvantage to center of gravity.

If your perspective is that all lifts must change suspension dynamics, then that's really a different question.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "better results" part is subjective. I'm not a body lift advocate by any means, but I do think they've gotten a bad rap.

If the result one is looking for is more tire clearance, a body lift might be just the ticket while a suspension lift (or more suspension lift) could be wasteful and a disadvantage to center of gravity.

If your perspective is that all lifts must change suspension dynamics, then that's really a different question.
This was my first lift experience, on my DD no less, and I wanted to get the right combo for my purposes. In my interwebbing I came to understand that a 2.5" suspension lift was as high as you could go without having to start chopping and hitting your gas mileage real hard. I just got my 35s today actually (it's a thing of beauty). I'd been worried about tire clearance and that's why I was looking at a possible 1" BL. I haven't wheeled it yet now that I've got the 35s, but so far it doesn't seem like there'll be a problem - at this point I think a BL would just be aesthetic, not functional. Still on the fence about it, but after taking such a kick in the wallet over the past few weeks I'll probably hold off a while in any event.

And as others have noted, it's getting in a wreck with a 1" BL I'm concerned about. I mean, no one wants to get in a wreck, no car is perfectly safe!, but this shop I'm going to *won't install* BLs due to the added danger if you get into a wreck (thier words). I wondered if there was something I didn't know about BLs that he did know and I was wondering what people would have to say on the forum here about it.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
This was my first lift experience, on my DD no less, and I wanted to get the right combo for my purposes. In my interwebbing I came to understand that a 2.5" suspension lift was as high as you could go without having to start chopping and hitting your gas mileage real hard. I just got my 35s today actually (it's a thing of beauty). I'd been worried about tire clearance and that's why I was looking at a possible 1" BL. I haven't wheeled it yet now that I've got the 35s, but so far it doesn't seem like there'll be a problem - at this point I think a BL would just be aesthetic, not functional. Still on the fence about it, but after taking such a kick in the wallet over the past few weeks I'll probably hold off a while in any event.

And as others have noted, it's getting in a wreck with a 1" BL I'm concerned about. I mean, no one wants to get in a wreck, no car is perfectly safe!, but this shop I'm going to *won't install* BLs due to the added danger if you get into a wreck (thier words). I wondered if there was something I didn't know about BLs that he did know and I was wondering what people would have to say on the forum here about it.
Anything less than 2" of BL and your fine. I personally know people who have been it accidents with Body lifts installed and you are fine. That shop don't know what their talking about
There is a shop around my way as well tarheel 4WD that want install them either but will happily try to talk you into spending $2000 on a lift kit they sell.

·
Registered
528 Posts
...will happily try to talk you into spending $2000 on a lift kit they sell.
That's my thought too. A $100 body lift with an easy install just doesn't give them room for margin like a complicated suspension lift.

·
Registered
277 Posts

What exactly are they trying to say would occur with a body lift during a collision / "wreck"?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
All B.S. with danger. The drivers on the road are more dangerous than a 1" body lift. Put the lift on and drive the thing. The guy must have some other motive for trying to dissuade you. Either he sells lifts or he is lazy or something but a 1" bl wont kill you or even really effect much. If anything you will see how much you want a coil lift after you bolt on a couple of heavy bumpers and a winch. :)
Either way don't sweat it and do the body lift. As stated, its relatively easy to do and to take out if you aren't happy. I also agree that more than 1.5 will start to change things and you should consider the coil lift.
This type of talk about Jeep equates to just putting the tip in, you eventually will get more. Its up to you how fast and how far. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I don't think body lifts are dangerous, but I'm also not a fan of them. To me, they're a throwback to days when you couldn't get tire/fender clearance with a suspension lift.

If you're wanting the look of more tire clearance, I'd say run some flat/tube fenders.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you're wanting the look of more tire clearance, I'd say run some flat/tube fenders.
^This, throw some bushwacker flat flares on it. Easy install and less than $500. Lots of clearance Clarence.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts