Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I decide that my 2" lift kit is shirt by one inch and u go ahead with a small body lift, will I need to extend brake lines? Lift the motor or any other headache like those? Or if I do a 1" shackles? Is that simple to do? Just unbolt old ones bolt on shackles? Thoughts from the know how people in Jeep world!!! HAha...you al are life savers thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A body lift is preferable to a shackle lift IMO. (Considering you don't go over a 1" BL), you will not need to extend brake lines or anything like that. The motor will be a little out of alignment from the fan shroud but it won't get in the way, you can also shim up the fan shroud too if need be.

If you do the 1" SL instead your drive-line angles will be changed. You'll have shackles that are 2" longer than stock, lowering your ground clearance in the front and rear, and that is never any good.

The BL is harder to install, but it has several advantages over the SL in my opinion. The BL mod also opens up the door for a "tummy-tuck" upgrade if you decide to go that route down the line, (combined with a 1" MML). The norm is to not go over a 1" BL because of the strain on the mounts and the goofy look. I seen a lot of guys reduce their shackle lifts to 0" and install a body lift in place to make up for the difference.

The hardest part of doing the BL is getting the bolts to come out without breaking themselves or breaking the nut plate. If you go this route I suggest weeks, (weeks), worth of spraying PB Blaster on them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If your jeep isn't rusted to all get out than a BL isn't that hard. If you've never removed your rear shackles and the bolts are still backwards than a BL is easier in my opinion. Both aren't that difficult but less headache with a BL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking into Daystar 1" body lift and it replaces the stick bushings ( mine are WAY SHOT)!!!! Anyone gave good things or bad things in that brand??

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm looking into Daystar 1" body lift and it replaces the stick bushings ( mine are WAY SHOT)!!!! Anyone gave good things or bad things in that brand??
I've heard good things about it, I have the 1" lift prothane body bushings, I think it and the Daystar are basically the same.

My jeep definitely rode better afted I got rid of the shot stock body bushings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard good things about it, I have the 1" lift prothane body bushings, I think it and the Daystar are basically the same.

My jeep definitely rode better afted I got rid of the shot stock body bushings.
Cool. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have the Daystar kit on mine...totally happy with it. Rides nice and they are one piece mounts, just like stock.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It's a complete kit as well. Nothing else to pick up for putting it on. I don't have a motor mount lift, as I have a 4 cylinder and the fan didn't really come into contact with the shroud. I did, however, dremel the bottom edge of the shroud about a quarter inch off so I wouldn't have a problem if things flexed a little in offroad situations.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The prothane kit came with 4 small pieces to drop the shroud down an inch, even without them the fan wasn't making contact, but I did install them and later removed them after I put in a 1" mml.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts