Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried looking around as much as I could, but couldn't find the answer. The quick: 2003 TJ with 3.07 Dana 30 front, 35 rear. I just, like 2 weeks ago, installed an aussie locker into the front end.

What are my options for regearing the front and still being able to keep the aussie? Assume any regear that doesn't change the carrier would work, but I'm not positive. I still haven't figured out what ratio I can go to and not change carriers. Push comes to shove, I'll sell to recoup some costs.

I'd like to go 4.56 if possible, and I'll see what I can do about the rearend. Maybe the 8.8 swap, or possibly pick up a D44 and regear it if needed.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
You can install the Aussie in a new carrier during the regear. The lunchbox locker is not carrier specific.
Yep, and new carriers are like ~$130 new, but sometimes you can find them used as lots of people pull them to install e-lockers/air-lockers.

You can figure it's about $1700 to do regear (professionally installed) both axles to 4.56 with the correct carriers.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Skip the Trakloc. It is weak and clutches wear quickly. Spend a few extra bucks for a Truetrac. It is a gear driven limited slip and will last far longer.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting and thanks all. If you couldn't tell, I'm not very informed on what exactly makes an Dana 30 a Dana 30. Is it just the axles or the carrier, or everything: axles+carrier+housing+anything else?

I'm really trying to do as much reading and research as I can, but might as well ask. I'm not on a tight budget, but I'd like to not spend way to much, and save some money for a lift and tires after. What I would like to do is regear and get away from the 3.07. I'm thinking a minimum of 4.10, but ideally 4.56. Given that I have a D30/D35 combo, and just installed an aussie locker I'd hate to part with already, what would you all recommend?

A few things to note: My TJ is just my weekend warrior/camp/4-wheeling vehicle, not driven all that much, maybe 5k miles a year. Maybe that'll increase, but given how much I really drive it, the clutches in a trakloc could last me 10 years or more, which given my area, might outlast the jeep if I don't keep the rust at bay. The aussie locker became necessary for at least the front when I realized I had open difs when I got stuck a few times in mud/snow. Kinda p1ssed me off to put it in 4 wheel drive and have only 2 tires spinning...

Anyway, as I stated, what I was thinking was going to 4.56. What would I need to get there up front, just new ring and pinion or do I need to get a new carrier too?

Back: I checked CL and only found one D44 rear being parted out from a rolled (at least how it looks) '98. No asking price listed for the axle since they are parting it out. Comes with 3.73 gears, so I'd still have to regear it, and wondering if it would be worth offering up a price and how much? One other one not too far away asking $250: "Dana 44 rear axle that I didn't use. Has some kind of diff protector, spider gears are welded on it. Pinion seal leaks." Doesn't mention the gear ratio.

Should I just start looking for the 8.8? I can get free labor to help get the 8.8 installed onto the TJ, but plan to have a shop do the regearing. I'm going to go read up again on 8.8 info and start checking local junkyards to see what's available. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Should I just start looking for the 8.8? I can get free labor to help get the 8.8 installed onto the TJ, but plan to have a shop do the regearing. I'm going to go read up again on 8.8 info and start checking local junkyards to see what's available. Thanks!
I bought my 8.8 with 4.10's ($220), then bought the the TJ Artec truss ($350). After getting brake shoes/pads, brake lines, parking brake cables, diff oil (I did the welding). I was right at about $850 for the total project cost.
http://www.artecindustries.com/TJ_8.8_Swap_Kit

I already had a d30 with 4.10's...but you might consider finding a d30 with 4.10 (out of a SE TJ), install your Aussie, swap in the axle into your TJ, then sell your 3.07 d30 with spider gears to recover most of your d30 cost..

With that plan, I bet your project would be about $1000-$1200 total. While 4.10's might not be the perfect gearing, it will be much better that 3.07's.

Reactions: Crafty42

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought my 8.8 with 4.10's ($220), then bought the the TJ Artec truss ($350). After getting brake shoes/pads, brake lines, parking brake cables, diff oil (I did the welding). I was right at about $850 for the total project cost.
Artec Industries TJ 8.8 Swap Kit with Truss

I already had a d30 with 4.10's...but you might consider finding a d30 with 4.10 (out of a SE TJ), install your Aussie, swap in the axle into your TJ, then sell your 3.07 d30 with spider gears to recover most of your d30 cost..

With that plan, I bet your project would be about $1000-$1200 total. While 4.10's might not be the perfect gearing, it will be much better that 3.07's.
Thanks. 4.10 was my minimum. 4.56 optimal (or at least wanted). 4.10 is definitely an option. Searched CL: "Jeep Wrangler YJ Dana HP30 front and Dana 35 rear. 4.10 gears. $250 obo takes both. Also have TJ shafts to convert the front D30."

Would I need the shafts? of course, if I can get 4.56 gears for less than $200, might be worth it to not have to hassle with welding new mounting hardware and spring plates, though as you mention, I could recover some costs by selling the D30. I called my local tranny shop to see what they recommend doing and cost. Since I wasn't planning to do the regear myself and I've seen it recommended I have the shop doing the work provide the parts or there could be warranty issues.

Thanks for all the help and input!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The YJ's are setup for leaf springs. See if you can locate a HP d30 with 4.10's out of an XJ.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Since I wasn't planning to do the regear myself and I've seen it recommended I have the shop doing the work provide the parts or there could be warranty issues.
It can be done in the driveway to save about a grand in labor, but it is a very precise, meticulous setup. You will need a few specialty tools, read up on and research the procedures.

Randy's Ring + Pinion offers a decent install book with very good info to help the layman https://www.ringpinion.com/technicalhelp/DiffBook.aspx

I have the skills to do this, yet choose to let someone else deal with it. Good enough is not what this job requires, PERFECTION is. Patience is a virtue when it comes to gear setup.

East Coast Gear Supply offers a bolt in Ford 8.8 for the TJ starting at $775
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-2763540-ford-8-8-rear-axle-bolt-in-tj-assembly.html

With 4.56 gears installed $1394 with many other options available

Reactions: Crafty42

·
Registered
847 Posts
First off, what tire size and trans do you have? Second, for your use it sounds like the 35 will be fine. If you are overly concerned you could add some alloy/hardened axles along with the gear and carrier swap.

The 30 will be fine, you can swap in the 5-760 axle u joint to add some strength where needed.

The Traclok is 400, the Truetrac is 430. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra 30 bucks.

Unless you have done gears before and have all the necessary tools, have a reputable shop perform the swap.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe i missed it, but what trans and max tire size
NV3550, 4.0L

I don't have a max tire size in mind at the moment, but imagine max for me would be 35"

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the shop just called. Didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. They said I'll need a new carrier to go from 3.07 to 4.56. Said carriers are different above 3.73. And also that the locker I have installed wouldn't work. So now I'm a bit confused. They said it would be 1.5-2k just to do the front, then a buttload more for the rear to do a dana 44. They won't do custom work, but said if I get the axles, they could do the install and regearing. So while I know my options in the back pretty much, I still not sure how to get from 3.07 to 4.56 in the front. What all is needed and would change other than the gears?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So the shop just called. Didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. They said I'll need a new carrier to go from 3.07 to 4.56. Said carriers are different above 3.73. And also that the locker I have installed wouldn't work. So now I'm a bit confused. They said it would be 1.5-2k just to do the front, then a buttload more for the rear to do a dana 44. They won't do custom work, but said if I get the axles, they could do the install and regearing. So while I know my options in the back pretty much, I still not sure how to get from 3.07 to 4.56 in the front. What all is needed and would change other than the gears?
Find a different shop that knows what they're doing...... No reason you can't use that lunchbox locker in the new carrier. Good used Dana 30 carriers can be had for around $50 you'll need one for 4.10 and numerically higher

That quote for the front alone is outrageous unless your gonna do chromoly axles and a selectable locker of some sort.

Just built a Super 35, an Aussie up front and re-gear for a grand total $1850

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The quote for the front included a new locker. Gonna talk to them about that part and see what they say.

Super 35 is a new option for the rear I hadn't considered.... great!! lol.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The quote for the front included a new locker. Gonna talk to them about that part and see what they say.

Super 35 is a new option for the rear I hadn't considered.... great!! lol.
Detroit full locker and 30 spline 1541H axles will run right $1000
https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-detroit-locker-revolution/
The Detroit will run $650, axles depending on brand $320, you'll also need a master install kit for the rear 30 spline locker.
Or you can do a selectable for $200+/- more

1541H axles are recommended for a c-clip axles do to the case hardening used on the 1541H, has to do with the harder outer layer for bearing races.

Chromoly axles because they are through hardened, have a tendency to wear a groove in them where the bearings ride sometimes causing them to fail sooner.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Davey's Jeep has 3 Dana 44s with 3.73s in them, which means I would still need new carriers for it as well since the break is 3.73/3.92. Looks like the best option at Davey's Jeep is an 06 TJ 3.73 DANA 44 REAR for $1k. There's an $850 with from an '01, but assumed a newer one might be in better shape, and $1200 one with Trac-loc, but don't think that would do me any good if I"m regearing and changing the carrier, right? I could take a look at the $850 compared to the $1k if I go this route. All in all, I'm assuming $1k for the Dana 44, and then another $500 for the gears and carriers. Does that sound right? I just did some quick searches and seems the gears are around $160 a pair, and carriers are less than $100. So 2x160+2x100=520, give or take some rounding. I'm sure there are many other parts I'm not factoring, like bearings and such, and then there's paying the shop to install, but I'm just trying to put together a shopping list so I know what this is going to cost me.

Edit: Just realized I forgot the spider gears for the rear end. haven't fully decided if i"ll leave that open or not. As much as I'd need a locker in both ends, I'm leaning towards just leaving it open.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Keep track of all these options and costs in a spreadsheet to help drive a decision. Ya will lose your mind trying to keep all this straight in your head.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Regear the front or put in a remanufactured front axle and reuse the aussie locker.

Get a super 35 kit with new gears and a true-trac limited slip, or a full locker if you want to spend more.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts