Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
100,536 Posts
I know wheel spacers can be detrimental on the axles and hubs, but can a 1" spacer make much of a difference? Also, are these decent spacers?
Eibach Wheel Spacers - Auto Parts Warehouse
Eibach manufactures, real quality parts! They are highly known for their quality springs!

Just remember to torque them to 90 lbs. with Loctite, and then re-torque them at 80 lbs. at every tire rotation.

Op, now to your question, as to will it add additional stress to some of the front end component's, and the answer is yes. But it's really no different than moving the wheels out, with custom wheel Back Spacing, such as 4.5, which are highly used.
Either or, will add additional stress.

But keep in mind, that Mopar offers their custom wheels, with are 4.6 Back Spacing.

So the bottom line is, if you want the bigger tires, with the wider stance, then the wheels spacers is one way to accomplish it. The negative is that some of your steering will wear out at a faster pace, number one being the ball joints, because they are not of a high quality from the factory!

So as one of our experienced Members has stated, if you want to play, then you have to pay.........:D

·
Registered
692 Posts
There is only 1 wheel spacer on the site you linked that will fit a newer JK Jeep Wrangler, that is the 1.5in spacer. All others either do not have the correct 5 on 5" stud spacing &/or the correct center (ie-centric) hole to mate with the hub.

Do not go by their "Fill in your vehicle info in this space & we will show you what fits" guide, those are not always correct (& at that site definitely not). You should always research part #'s if they are available to protect yourself from the possibility of receiving incorrect information.

The only producer of quality 'less than 1.5" wheel spacers' for newer model JK Jeeps that I am aware of is here; Jeep Wheel Spacers made in the USA.

Also, for a 1" spacer you may have to contend with cutting down the wheel studs on your Jeep so the wheel itself will fit on the adapter.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Spidertrax ( which I run in combination with 34x12x17=305/70/17 tires ) and Teraflex both make a 1.25" spacer for the JK. Depending on your OEM rims you may or may not need to cut back the wheel studs ~1/8". I lucked out and did not have to, the 17" OEM rims I run have hollow spaces that more than cleared the stud protrusion, which is less than an 1/8".

After more than 13k miles I have seen nor felt any problems. In fact the Jeep drives much better with them than without them.

1"-1.25" work best with up to a tire height of 34" and a width of 12". Anymore than that and you can start running into rubbing issues again (depending on your set up, lift/no lift).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Eibach parts are great quality, I have used their lowering spring and sway bars on cars. However as was said above that website may not be the best place to order from and they seem to be a bit expensive. Spidertrax or G2 wheel adapters have a good name and you should be able to find a set of 4 for around $200.00.

If you go with 1" adapter then you'll probably have to grind off the top of the wheel stud to get them to bolt on without the wheel stud sticking out above the adapter, you can got to a 1 1/2" adapter than you don't have to grind the studs down. Whatever brand you go with try to get the hubcentric ones so the hub is supporting the weight of the vehicle and not the wheel studs.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Spidertrax ( which I run in combination with 34x12x17=305/70/17 tires ) and Teraflex both make a 1.25" spacer for the JK. Depending on your OEM rims you may or may not need to cut back the wheel studs ~1/8". I lucked out and did not have to, the 17" OEM rims I run have hollow spaces that more than cleared the stud protrusion, which is less than an 1/8".

After more than 13k miles I have seen nor felt any problems. In fact the Jeep drives much better with them than without them.

1"-1.25" work best with up to a tire height of 34" and a width of 12". Anymore than that and you can start running into rubbing issues again (depending on your set up, lift/no lift).
I stand corrected, sort of.

Teraflex does indeed make a 1.25" spacer for the JK.
Spidertrax also has 1.25" spacer with 5x5 studding, though not for JK application directly. The Spidertrax 1.25" spacer for the '99-'04 Grand Cherokee WJ I believe will bolt on, but they are not 'hub centric' for JK's (according to Spidertrax).

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Spidertrax specifically told me on the phone that they only recommend the 1.5" spacer for JK's I have never been one to argue with the maker of a product on what it will work with or not. BORA also USA made and top quality will make any width you want. I have not used BORA spacers but have used their hub centric rings and they are high quality made to order.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Spidertrax specifically told me on the phone that they only recommend the 1.5" spacer for JK's I have never been one to argue with the maker of a product on what it will work with or not. BORA also USA made and top quality will make any width you want. I have not used BORA spacers but have used their hub centric rings and they are high quality made to order.
That's interesting because they told me the opposite. Even gave me the part number to order them. The ones I have ARE "hub centric" just like their 1.5" spacers I had prior. The reason they might have told you 1.5" only is due to the stud issue I mentioned in the above posts. TeraFlex 1.25" spacers address this issue in the install paperwork and online videos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts