Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my stock Mud Terrain tires on my 2016 JKU HardRock with 285/70-17 BFG All-Terrain KO2's.

I am running the new tires on the stock rims, no lift (yet) and only have a very, very, very slight rub on the sway bar at full lock.

The fender flares are almost exactly 1" proud of the outside edge of the tire.

With the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift I am planning on installing, will a 1" spacer space the tire far enough away from contacting the rear swaybar links?

If so, does anyone make quality 1" spacers? I know Teraflex makes 1-1/4" spacers. It seems that 1.5" spacers are the norm.

Thanks.

-steve

·
Registered
489 Posts
Stock studs are longer than 1" that's why you don't see many 1" spacers, you'd have to cut your studs.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I also did 1.25.. You will have to grind down the studs a few MM so they don't stick out past the spacer and grind into the wheels. If this happens you WILL loose a wheel.. Ask me how I know..

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I also did 1.25.. You will have to grind down the studs a few MM so they don't stick out past the spacer and grind into the wheels. If this happens you WILL loose a wheel.. Ask me how I know..
Not exactly correct Randy. On stock Rubicon 17" and Sport 17" rims this is not needed as there is space between the bolt holes in the rims that the extra length of the studs go into. Is is needed though on aftermarket rims. As long as he is running factory Rubicon 17" rims he will be fine.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just replaced my stock Mud Terrain tires on my 2016 JKU HardRock with 285/70-17 BFG All-Terrain KO2's.

I am running the new tires on the stock rims, no lift (yet) and only have a very, very, very slight rub on the sway bar at full lock.

The fender flares are almost exactly 1" proud of the outside edge of the tire.

With the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift I am planning on installing, will a 1" spacer space the tire far enough away from contacting the rear swaybar links?

If so, does anyone make quality 1" spacers? I know Teraflex makes 1-1/4" spacers. It seems that 1.5" spacers are the norm.

Thanks.

I run 1.25" spacers on stock 17" Sport and Rubicon 17" rims. JK and JKU with 315/70/17s. 1.25" is used to keep the tires tucked under the flares. It works out similar to a rim with a 5" backspace like those sold by AEV.

1.5" is used by more folks because they either like the look of the tires sticking out a bit, peace of mine for extra insurance that the tires do not rub in turns or their given lift for some reason requires it. 1.5" spacers are similar to a rim with 4.75" backspacing.

With your tires 1.25" spacer will provide for a more rugged looking stance but not stick out past the fender flares.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2016 Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock on order and plan on using the table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; } Teraflex 2-1/2" Suspesion Lift 1251002. I'd like to keep the stock Hard Rock 17" wheels but would like to install BFG 35X12.5X17 All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires. Will the 1.25" Wheel Spacers give enough tire clearance or will I need 1.5"?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Sorry for that total screw-up in my post! Have no idea where all that came from.
Looks like a Copy & Paste job gone bad.. With the stock fenders, I don't think even the 1.5s will prevent rubbing while off-road/at full flex. If you still get rubbing, it will be minimal so try it and see.. If you get any rubbing, it's a good reason to get some flat fenders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts