Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tempted to pre-order and try the new Pioneer 10.1" floating display. It uses a single DIN slot to hold the screen. Using an iPad as a mock-up (same size screen) it looks like it'll work. Bonus points if my DIN sized CB radio can fit in the lower DIN slot.

I already have a Pioneer 8200NEX so I should be able to reuse all the extras (XM radio, back up camera, blue tooth mic, GPS antenna, idatalink, etc).

It has wireless CarPlay which I'm looking forward to having.

I think the only real worry is how stable the screen is bouncing down the trail. There's also a 9" version. Another negative is that's it's so big, no room for my phone mount. Not sure if I'd even need it- possibly for some navigation apps, but CarPlay is now doing Gaia.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/10/ces-pioneer-infotainment-alexa-apple-carplay-android-auto/

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Chinese 10.1" dual DIN head unit and is as stable as your mounting brackets (custom fab steel in my case).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I also have a Chinese Android 10.1.

The fit is great but the radio did come with all the replacement dash pieces.

Reactions: Firebourne

·
Registered
141 Posts
The size is great. The mounts that came with it were crap and stuck way out from the dash (shown in photo) so I made my own.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,009 Posts
Floating? Back in the day we called that cramming 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.

I do like the display itself however...

Reactions: HKLover

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just received a second head unit from the factory for free today. It even has upgraded memory (32GB vs 16GB). Thinking I might swap it with the existing one then make a rear seat entertainment system from the second one (minivan style from the soundbar).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Perfect!
If I could be so bold to ask that you take lots of install pictures?

I will keep tabs on this thread and I look forward to seeing the end results

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too am looking to upgrade my AVH-4200NEX to one of the floating displays over the smaller DMH-W4660NEX Would love to see photos if anyone finds some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts