Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I recently stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNzDXYzyvvM and the android head unit looks amazing for the price. I especially like it for the OEM design - it looks so seamless, check the video.

For $400, it looks great, but I've heard mixed reviews about reliability.

I already have an Alpine KTP 445U amplifier so the sound output is not an issue. I think i'm going to get it -- it has a 12 month warranty and apparently their customer service is amazing... i dunno. What do you guys think, or do you know of any similar head units that look so seamless (thats mainly what I care about) for a similar price?

The unit

·
Registered
119 Posts
I subscribe to his channel and watched this a week or so ago, I am thinking of getting it too. and the blue tooth OBD2 module so that I can monitor the engine temps.
Looks like a great deal to me, much better than the Alpine that is $3000 and you have to cut your dash in half.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have recently installed the Wrangler specific Joying Android unit and I am beginning to have mixed feelings about it.

It was like getting a date with that really hot girl you've been wanting to go out with, and then finding out she may be a bit bipolar.

Keep in mind that this refers to my unit (US-JY-JM001N2 running Android 6.0.1) and may not be the same with this unit discussed here.

Issues that I have encountered are:

Wonky steering wheel button integration: Using the steering wheel buttons to advance or go back a track will result in either 2 songs playing at once or a totally different song than the one displayed that you selected. I initially thought it was to be blamed on my media player but it does it regardless of which player I use.

Screen is VERY bright at night but this is supposedly only an issue on the Wrangler specific unit. Joying suggested I install an additional 3rd party app to adjust brightness. :whacky:

Rotten FM radio reception. It's really bad.

Sound quality is not much better than factory unless you get an app with a good EQ. I have an external sub and it still didn't sound good. I finally tried PowerAmp ($3.99) which has a good EQ and now sound is VERY good.

Other than these caveats, it is nice having all the functionality.

Waze works great.

Phone integration seems good so far.

Internet radio is good (tethered the unit to my phone)

In summary, if I had it to do over again I would have used the Pioneer NEX that I have sitting on my shelf.

I really wanted to try the Android unit but unfortunately I think it is still not quite where I thought it would be.

Hopefully updates can resolve some of these issues.

I will say that if the brightness app does not resolve the nighttime display issue I will cut my losses and send this thing back. It is so bright I have reflections on both side windows that are brighter than I would like the main display to be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have recently installed the Wrangler specific Joying Android unit and I am beginning to have mixed feelings about it.

It was like getting a date with that really hot girl you've been wanting to go out with, and then finding out she may be a bit bipolar.

Keep in mind that this refers to my unit (US-JY-JM001N2 running Android 6.0.1) and may not be the same with this unit discussed here.

Issues that I have encountered are:

Wonky steering wheel button integration: Using the steering wheel buttons to advance or go back a track will result in either 2 songs playing at once or a totally different song than the one displayed that you selected. I initially thought it was to be blamed on my media player but it does it regardless of which player I use.

Screen is VERY bright at night but this is supposedly only an issue on the Wrangler specific unit. Joying suggested I install an additional 3rd party app to adjust brightness. :whacky:

Rotten FM radio reception. It's really bad.

Sound quality is not much better than factory unless you get an app with a good EQ. I have an external sub and it still didn't sound good. I finally tried PowerAmp ($3.99) which has a good EQ and now sound is VERY good.

Other than these caveats, it is nice having all the functionality.

Waze works great.

Phone integration seems good so far.

Internet radio is good (tethered the unit to my phone)

In summary, if I had it to do over again I would have used the Pioneer NEX that I have sitting on my shelf.

I really wanted to try the Android unit but unfortunately I think it is still not quite where I thought it would be.

Hopefully updates can resolve some of these issues.

I will say that if the brightness app does not resolve the nighttime display issue I will cut my losses and send this thing back. It is so bright I have reflections on both side windows that are brighter than I would like the main display to be.
Hmm thanks for this. The brightness issue should be very easy to fix, it's just a basic android tablet so that's odd. I'm so torn as to whether to do this upgrade. It just looks so cool, if I got in someones jeep with this I'd be floored and assume it was some absurdly expensive dash upgrade you see on the $80k modded and maxed out jeeps that are becoming super popular among rich craigs around me and in Florida.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking the brightness would be an easy fix too, but the Admin level setting is disabled and the normal slider barely makes a dent in the brightness level.

It is undeniably cool and everyone who has seen it has been suitably impressed.

It's just that the initial impressive aspects of it are becoming harder to see due to the shortcomings that are cropping up.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I have had a Joying for almost a year, my thread is below:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/j...d-head-unit-joying-jeep-specific-1800113.html

i love mine, went from the Jeep size to the 8 inch screen, and I have been eyeballing that 10.1 inch on Seicane that Dex has in that video for a long time. But the link on Seicane shows 1GB of RAM not 2GB.

Having used a 1GB RAM joying and their newer 2GB of RAM units, I do not recommend a 1GB of RAM unit

Here is the link from Dex's video:

https://www.seicane.com/inch-hd-tou...teering-wheel-control-rearview-camera-s301171

RAM: 1G DDR3 RAM memory

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a Joying for almost a year, my thread is below:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/j...d-head-unit-joying-jeep-specific-1800113.html

i love mine, went from the Jeep size to the 8 inch screen, and I have been eyeballing that 10.1 inch on Seicane that Dex has in that video for a long time. But the link on Seicane shows 1GB of RAM not 2GB.

Having used a 1GB RAM joying and their newer 2GB of RAM units, I do not recommend a 1GB of RAM unit

Here is the link from Dex's video:

https://www.seicane.com/inch-hd-tou...teering-wheel-control-rearview-camera-s301171
Does this head unit work with Waze? That'd be tight if so

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Does this head unit work with Waze? That'd be tight if so
My Joying works with Waze, the one in Dex's video should as well, just as i said the 2GB of RAM units will work better.

They should all run Android and allow you to put just about any app from the Play Store

Here are some pics of mine using a different launcher

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts