Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a question about said "Rough Country" suspension..
Rough Country 3.25in. Lift Kit 2-Door (07-13 Wrangler JK) PERF693 - Free Shipping over $75!

I am completely stock (2011 2 dr JK). Is there a catch to all of this? How easy would it be to install myself? Is there anything else that I would need for this setup (there's always something).

**If there is anyone with this lift.. Please feel free to post your pictures on this thread :)**

Thanks folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Angel

·
Super Moderator
23,491 Posts
If you are mechanical and have proper tools, jacks, and jackstands there is no reason why you can not do it yourself. I am guessing being you are asking if it is easy then you probably are most likely not mechanically inclined so I guess the proper answer is yes if you are mechanically inclined and have the proper tools. No if not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are mechanical and have proper tools, jacks, and jackstands there is no reason why you can not do it yourself. I am guessing being you are asking if it is easy then you probably are most likely not mechanically inclined so I guess the proper answer is yes if you are mechanically inclined and have the proper tools. No if not.
Then, no.. It will not be easy due to the fact that I am not mechanically inclined. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,491 Posts
Then, no.. It will not be easy due to the fact that I am not mechanically inclined. Thanks.
Not sure if you have a 4X4 club in your area but if so join the club and chances are you will meet someone who is willing to help you out. Shops are going to charge $100 or so an hour labor and in their defense they need to do that to pay the bills. My guess is you could find a jeep enthusiast who will help for much less then that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if you have a 4X4 club in your area but if so join the club and chances are you will meet someone who is willing to help you out. Shops are going to charge $100 or so an hour labor and in their defense they need to do that to pay the bills. My guess is you could find a jeep enthusiast who will help for much less then that.
Sweet! However, do you think the 3.5" lift with 33's will look funky? I mostly, see spacers and leveling kits, sometimes 2" with 33's.

·
Super Moderator
23,491 Posts
Sweet! However, do you think the 3.5" lift with 33's will look funky? I mostly, see spacers and leveling kits, sometimes 2" with 33's.
yes I do. I think 2.5" lift with 33" is pushing it. Everybody has different tastes tho.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
yes. it will look funny. thats not an opinion, it is a fact. I was rolling around on 3.5in of lift on 33's for a week or so....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
yes I do. I think 2.5" lift with 33" is pushing it. Everybody has different tastes tho.
Agree with this. . 2" will Be perfect with 33". 2.5" won't look bad, just a little too high. Just remember when it comes to lift, to stay as low as possible, as high as necessary. Jeep people have this weird thought process that "the higher the lift the better!" Well, for looks, maybe, but for off road and on road performance, the jeep with the lowest center of gravity, but the necessary ground clearance and flex room will be the better performing jeep.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Agree with this. . 2" will Be perfect with 33". 2.5" won't look bad, just a little too high. Just remember when it comes to lift, to stay as low as possible, as high as necessary. Jeep people have this weird thought process that "the higher the lift the better!" Well, for looks, maybe, but for off road and on road performance, the jeep with the lowest center of gravity, but the necessary ground clearance and flex room will be the better performing jeep.
thats because most people hear 3" of lift and assume its garbage compared to their cousins brothers friends chevy with 12" of lift that wouldnt go anywhere a jeep would go.

·
Registered
574 Posts
thats because most people hear 3" of lift and assume its garbage compared to their cousins brothers friends chevy with 12" of lift that wouldnt go anywhere a jeep would go.
Yep, JK wranglers are blessed with a nice spacious wheel well and a long coil length from the factory. They can come with 32s from the factory, many family SUVs wish they could fit 32s without trimming or cutting or lifting.

For 33s a leveling kit is more than enough (like 2" front and 1" rear), if body clearance becomes an issue flat fenders will rescue you. You can even run 33s stock. In my opinion, anything taller than 2.5 for 33s and you will start wasting money on suspension parts to correct geometry that the 33s wont be able to use to its fullest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, JK wranglers are blessed with a nice spacious wheel well and a long coil length from the factory. They can come with 32s from the factory, many family SUVs wish they could fit 32s without trimming or cutting or lifting.

For 33s a leveling kit is more than enough (like 2" front and 1" rear), if body clearance becomes an issue flat fenders will rescue you. You can even run 33s stock. In my opinion, anything taller than 2.5 for 33s and you will start wasting money on suspension parts to correct geometry that the 33s wont be able to use to its fullest.
Will I have to change anything with a 2.5" shock and coil lift?

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts
Will I have to change anything with a 2.5" shock and coil lift?
Depends on final ride height. What coils are you looking at?
How about bumpers/winch/ect?

Most coils are stiffer than factory. Without weight can yield more than the advertised 2.5"

But .... Generally speaking no.
Best advice is to install the lift and drive. If you need anything else like CA's/TB's, you will know it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that many lifts have an advertised height that is for armored rigs and a lot of times for JKU's which are obviously much heavier...when you put a 2.5" lift on a relatively stock JK you will more than likely see at least 3" of lift and more than likely 3.5" - 4" so you are right back to your question of will my Jeep look funny and the answer is pretty much yes....i did a couple things on my rig and got 3" of lift and after having it a while with my 33s it started to bug me that it looked like bike tires in the wheel wells thus my upgrade to 35s. If you are going to definitely stick with 33s i would not do any lift at all until you get the new ones installed...stockers will look really funny on a lifted rig in my opinion. I would also give a couple of the lift manufacturers a call and ask them what their height is on a basically stock rig.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Stupid question: How can I avoid the "death wobble?" How does it occur?

[
There are about 10 things that can cause it, most of the time it comes back to a loose track bar, bad tie rod ends or bad ball joints. Tre's and ball joints from the factory are garbage, a good way to prevent them going out is to replace them before they do, but its not exactly cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts