Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get som 6 inch KC Daylighters but theres a $30 difference between the 100W and the 130W if i wasnt tight on money id just go with the 130W. But is it worth the extra $$ for the 130W? Is there even a big difference between the two?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want to get som 6 inch KC Daylighters but theres a $30 difference between the 100W and the 130W if i wasnt tight on money id just go with the 130W. But is it worth the extra $$ for the 130W? Is there even a big difference between the two?
It's not so much the wattage, as it is the candlepower, which is what cuts through the dark of night. According to KC's website, the 130's put out 175,000 candlepower vs 120,000 for the 100''s. Big difference.

If you live in the 'burbs, the 100 watters are gonna do you fine. I live in the mountains, nowhere near artificial night lighting, so for me, it's the 130's in fog, driving and long range.

Just my .02

·
Registered
19 Posts
One other thing, depending on your choice, you're going to want to do the 'watts math' to see if you'll exceed your alternator's output. You'll add up ALL you lighting, including your headlights in that equation.

Do a search and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Slider57 said:
It's not so much the wattage, as it is the candlepower, which is what cuts through the dark of night. According to KC's website, the 130's put out 175,000 candlepower vs 120,000 for the 100''s. Big difference.

If you live in the 'burbs, the 100 watters are gonna do you fine. I live in the mountains, nowhere near artificial night lighting, so for me, it's the 130's in fog, driving and long range.

Just my .02
My 100w say 200,000 candlepower.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if i get the 130W do you think i can hook up right to the battery? the only other thing aftermarket that i use power for is my CB. other than that i have stock fog lights, driving lights and the offroad lights i want to get. will that exceed the alternators output?

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Simple equation to use is P=IV

P is power(watts), I is current (amps) V is voltage.
when you re-arrange the equation to be: P/V = I, 130/12= 10.83 amps per light
stock fogs and headlights i believe each are 55 watts, use the same equation for those

·
Registered
526 Posts
So if i get the 130W do you think i can hook up right to the battery? the only other thing aftermarket that i use power for is my CB. other than that i have stock fog lights, driving lights and the offroad lights i want to get. will that exceed the alternators output?
I'm running 2 130w KC Slimlites, 2 fog lights, my head lights, and my CB Radio. It hasen't exceeded my alternator. If it does though, I'm planning to go with mean green alternators :dance:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts