Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time...

...Time to order the 35's for the black JKUHR!!! I figure all of you that have gone down this road have already done all of the research on which rear carrier is the best. Please explain what your choice is and why. My Mickey Thompson MTZ's in 35" size awaits.

GO!

(oh, THANKS)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I Installed the aev tire carrier last week and everything lined up perfect. I will get some pics tomorrow. Don't know what other options are out there but the hole that is in the bumper lined up with the aev spindle.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Installed the aev tire carrier last week and everything lined up perfect. I will get some pics tomorrow. Don't know what other options are out there but the hole that is in the bumper lined up with the aev spindle.
Thanks man... I would really appreciate that. The AEV carrier is one that I am seriously considering. GREAT!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Very happy with the AEV as well...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^^^^^^^

Fantastic... I really like the way that looks. This may be easier than I thought haha.

THANKS!

·
Registered
107 Posts
my only issue with the AEV is it doesnt center the spare. I know they did that on purpose to access the handle etc ... but for some reason it bugs me that the spare in off centered. I really wanted the AEV but am now thinking TeraFlex .... but it sucks i cant use what the bumper was designed for

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are many options, all good. I went with the Teraflex Hinged carrier as I did not want my rear wheel off center (which many of the swing arm tire carriers are). Even though I have the 10A/X rear bumper in which you could mount a few carriers that swing out, I also did not want to have to open a separate tire swing, then the tailgate, although I know some are able to hook to the tailgate and open in in one motion. Also, with this and 35s I did not have to extend my rear/third brake light. This will also support 37s if I want to go there. Finally, I could also add high lift jack, gas/water cans to the TF mount as well. Many good choices, find what you like...

You may want to check out Maximus 3, I think their 10A/X/HR tire carrier mounts on the bumber and is centered...

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the teraflex was the other that I was considering. I have bought quite a bit from Maximus-3 for the front of these two Jeeps haha (stingers, light mounts, winch plates, etc), maybe I will look into that one too.

I was not aware of the off-center deal with the AEV. Not major to me, but is a small factor. This is all EXCELLENT information folks. THANK YOU AGAIN!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was just about to post this exact thread! I'm in the same situation myself with Hard Rock bumpers...

Here's how I'm going:
(Toyo M/T 35x12.50r17LT = 83 pounds) + (Rugged Ridge XHD wheel = 32 pounds) == 115 pounds total
With that said... I'm not sure exactly what I need to do. The problem is that most tire carriers are proprietary to the bumper. While they look like the same placement as what's on the Hard Rock.
Also the 35" kind of seems to put you in a gray area... it's not some monster 37" or 40", which definitely needs the serious reinforcement. And there is a massive price range on options. I also don't want the hassle of having it swing independent of the door

What I've been looking at, the obvious big / expensive / fancy:

Since 35's won't be that big... maybe I can get away with something smaller / cheaper, like:

Or even cheaper... both of these brackets say they will handle 35":

Is this just a bad idea???? But what bad things happen...? Do the bolts wiggle lose after some bumps? Does the door bend under the weight and never close straight again? I'm not sure exactly what problems I'm trying to solve...

·
Registered
21 Posts
When putting any weight on the rear I'm going to put it on the frame which means AEV or Maximus. Seems like the best choices for the bolt on crowd. I bought a Hard Rock and am in the bolt on mode. I chose the AEV for the rear and am very impressed with the engineering of the tire carrier. I spent 5 minutes looking at the offset then didn't think about it again. I added the Pullpal and the Hi lift bracket . The front got the Warn Zeon and the Maximus mount. Nice Stuff...You get what you pay for it seems. Would have spent a lot of hours building these pieces in the old days.
Cheers,Scott:beerme:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
have the AEV tire carrier also and it fits great with the HR bumper. here's a pic below of mine and the 35" MT MTZ's I have. *someone else whited out my license plate, but it is really my Jeep. Couldn't be happier with the AEV one. It is built like a ROCK. I also mounted a Rigid Industries flood light on the top part and wired it to my sPOD so I have a light for the campsite if I need some light at night.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There is no doubt the AEV is amazing... but it's $759!
That Off Camber Fabrications bracket, is $35

Is the AEV really worth the extra $724???!! Do I really need something that serious, for what amounts to roughly 40 pounds difference from the stock wheel on there now...???

·
Registered
82 Posts
Besides having to cut out the circle on the plastic trim is the AEV a direct bolt on for the hard rock? Is there any other cutting or drilling required? Thanks
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
that circle piece on the bumper has a plastic cap on it from the dealer - it is already drilled - if that is what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
no worries - just checking - that hole is definitely pre-drilled. I believe there is something else that requires drilling on the HR bumper, but I can't recall what it was. maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
245 Posts
While installing the aev tire carrier, you will take off the shiney red right hook. Install the frame mount that requires you to drill a 2 holes (top & bottom) into your frame to help hold the said frame mount into place. Unfortunately you will lose said shiney red hook.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I don't think the hook deal is a big one to me. I'd probably get a Dring hookup for the hitch to make up for it.

In looking, the Maximus-3 appears to use the hinge system, and so on that one the hook remains.

Oh the decisions!!!

FWP/out

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do not miss the hook at all... Being a bit off center is also a non issue to me. I personally like the look and quality of it. My RED hook has been repurposed as a coat hook in my office

1 - 20 of 56 Posts