Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I got lucky today, found a guy about 1.5 hrs away from me selling a set of OEM 10th Anniversary bumpers (Front and Back) for $150. I have recently been looking at these online and they are crazy expensive. I like OEM parts, so that is why I had been checking them out. Anyhow, are there any things I should be aware of prior to trying the swap? These came off a 2013 I think the owner said, and I am putting them on a 2010 JKU.
Questions:
1. I think I will need an extension for my foglight cables (Does anyone know how long of an extension I need?).
2. He also gave me the two tow hooks for the rear, mine only has one, so I guess I am going to have to find out if I have the right bolts to put them on.

3. I assume the nuts that hold on my current bumper will work on the replacement bumper as he did not provide me with any nuts.

4. He gave me some plastic end caps, I think these go on top of the ends and meet up with the plastic fenders??

5. He gave me the metal skid plate, I assume it will use the same bolts the current plastic skid plate uses or is it help on by clips (Haven't looked yet).

6. The two plastic screws that hold in the plastic cover between the bumper and grill, I have read those are notorious for breaking when trying to get them out. Does anyone know the part number or what they are called so I can order replacements just in case they break on me?

I think those are all the questions I have so far, but I am sure I will have more once I start the swap. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He also gave me some OEM rear light guards, but no screws. I assume I will need longer ones to install them, does anyone know of a good resource for these aside from the dealer? (Home depot, Lowes?)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don’t know the answer to your questions, but congrats on the bumpers.

I’m looking for similar bumpers, and that’s a great price! Would love to find a set.

·
Registered
688 Posts
That is an incredible price! I swapped my standard bumpers for 10A bumpers on my 13 a few years back. I don’t recall if the hardware was all the same or not but here are the answers to the best of my recollection.

I was able to connect the fog lights without an extension, but it was a stretch. I do remember reading that the need for an extension was model year dependent, but I don’t remember which years needed it and which years did not.

Hopefully he gave you the red tow hooks for the front bumper because they are different from the standard tow hooks. I wanted to reuse my original tow hooks because I didn’t want the red hooks, but I couldn’t.

If you have a tow hitch currently, you will need to replace it or modify it. The nuts are welded to the tow hitch for the 10A rear bumper because you don’t have access to hold them during installation like you do with the standard bumper.

I don’t have a part number for the plastic retainer pins, but have 2 suggestions. I have had the best success in removing them by starting to drill the center of the head with a small drill bit. As soon as it bites, simply pull straight up and the center portion of the pin will pull out. If you do break them or decide to replace them, there is another MOPAR retainer pin that has a different head design that will allow you to pry the head up for easier removal next time around.

Finally, the skid plate does not use the same attachments as the plastic one. It bolts to the bottom of the bumper using u clips and torx head bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just did this swap a year plus ago (removed stock 2016 rubicon bumper for 10th Ann front & rear) sadly it cost me a whole lot more.....

1. You can connect fog lights to their new location. It will need to be stretched by breaking apart some of that black plastic wire cover. You can get a plastic fast food straw and cut long ways if you are like me and wanted to keep them covered and do it for free.

2. You are lucky again! I had to buy my 2nd rear tow hook. But you will also need to buy a bracket and bolts to mount the 2nd tow hook. I went to the dealer and got it all for around $85 if I remember correctly. Also, I did not like the Red, as my Jeep is Metallic Granite Crystal. So before install I spray painted the front and rear tow hooks a metallic silver to match the Jeeps secondary color. Just a thought.

3. Yes. It is just plug and play

4. Dont know why he gave you those separate. I guess some people take them off. I dont like a gap between fender and bumper so I kept mine on.

5. Lucky X 3 !!! Your OEM plastic skid plate wont work with new bumpers. I had to pay $130 for the metal 10th Ann one. I dont remember if the same bolts can be used, if you need more or not. You wont have to drill and worst case scenario is you buy a few bolts at hardware store for a couple dollars.

6. Think you are asking about that black plastic strip between the grill and bumper. I just left that there. Most Ive seen have left that strip there. Just another gap if you pull out. Plus you cant see it really. If you want to remove and break those tabs. Always can head to the dealer and get a replacement.

I had little to no experience with working on any car Ive ever owned until I got my Rubicon in 2016. This was one of the first Mods I did and to do front and rear took me a few hours. You can do it!

·
Registered
574 Posts
The skid also bolts to the crash bar in 2 places, so that its rather large mass is supported in the front by the bumper and rear by the crash bar. I was able to get two regular bolt/nuts in there, but it was a pain to get the nuts onto the bolts, reaching in a tight awkward space. Would be a lot easier to get some sort of nut clip to install in the crash bar holes, which I assume the factory installation uses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info so far, I will see if I can get some time this weekend to mess with it. So of the parts or areas mentioned, I am not familiar with but I would assume as I start to work on it, it will start to make sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I was able to lay out all the parts he gave me, and it seems he gave me a bunch of extra stuff like warn witch plates, suspension parts, bump stops (I think), license plate holder (Rear, I need front, lol). It looks like he may have given me the bolts and brackets for the two rear tow hooks, if not maybe for the tow hitch. I took some pictures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far it seems I will need to source some bolts for the skid plate, and my frame does not have the holes to add the second rear tow hook. The good thing is that I was given the brackets and the bolts for both two hooks, but will only need one set since I have the original set, but will just swap it out to the red ones. Now I need to see if I can drill the appropriate holes into the frame. I am also missing the screws to reattach the rear bumper ends, but those should be easy to find at say home depot.

Anyone happen to know the part number or size bolts needed for the skid plates? Thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Called the dealership and according to them this is the bolt used to secure the skid plate, it says it is for bolting down a rear seat or something. We will see if it works. I did find a generic bolt on Amazon that had the same measurements, Bolt hex head m10x1.50x40.00, and it had one review which happened to be from a Wrangler owner that said he used it for securing his rock rails, so that is promising.
https://jeepautomotiveparts.com/2016-jeep-grand_cherokee-laredo-flex_3.6_v_6-transmission_automatic_8-body_hardware-tracks_components-seat_adjuster_bolt_6509488AA-item/

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
For the taillight guards, I think the stock screws will work. My Chief came with them and I took them off for probably the same reason your donor did. You can't clean the tail lights properly with them in place. The tail lights are only held in place by the outer two screws, but the inner two for most applications are decorative, their only purpose is to hold the guard if installed.

If you live in a dusty area or off road in a dusty area, leave them off. In the south, it's not the dust that cakes on them as much as the pollen in pollen season.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I tackled this project this weekend and here are some things I found out and learned. Keep in mind this is in reference to my 2010 JKU.

Turns out the 2010 did not have the appropriate holes to mount the second rear tow hook or the metal skid plate that attaches to the 10th Anniversary bumber. I was successfully able to drill holes into the rear frame and mount the second rear tow hook. For those that are interested I used the following step drill bit from Harbor Freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html
I did a 7/8 size hole which worked for me. I made a template using the drivers side rear tow hook location to find the placement of where to drill the holes on the passenger side. It was slow and tedious to drill, but worked. (Remember low setting and go slow when drilling into the frame).

I did not drill the holes yet into the frame where the skid plate attaches. There are two holes that will need to be drilled. As "DesertRubi" mentioned it is an awkward location, and will need a nut on the inside of the frame portion. I did not want to tackle that yesterday, I will do it in the next couple of days. I did find that the larger bolts that are used on the 10th Anniversary bumper to hold the removable ends on are the same size or thread and diameter (Not sure length as the bolts that would hold on the skid plates. I had some extras and was able to bolt on the skid plate to the bumper to find where the holes need to be drilled. This was good as I did not have the bolts for the skid plates.

For the taillight guards, I think the stock screws will work.
This did work, I tried the stock bolts and they were just long enough. We will see if I get annoyed by the cleaning difficulties.

As for the Fog lights, I think I will opt to use an extender, it did not seem like it needed too much more in length but I did not want to start cutting into the loom to extend the wires as others had done.

Lastly, I did not have to take off the plastic trim between the grill and the bumper so I did not have to deal with those plastic screw clips on there, but I did have to when trying to remove the plastic skip plate. Those are a horrible design, the screws don't come out so I just pulled them out with a trim tool. Others have just drilled them out.

Also to clarify what was also mentioned, the trailer hitch on the standard bumper has it's own nuts welded to it. The hitch for the 10th Anniversary bumper has no nuts welded to it, it screws into the actual bumper to secure the bumper and the hitch. So if you get a 10 Anniversary bumper, you will need to get the appropriate hitch as the standard one will not work.

Hopefully this information will help anyone that chooses to upgrade to the 10 Anniversary bumper set on an older JKU (Mine was a 2010 JKU sport).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts