Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a jeep but not for offroading.....It would be my everyday car which is intown and highway. That said, is is worth the extra $ to get a 2012? Is the engine in the '12 going to be a factor for a driver like me? This would be my first jeep which will be passed on to the kids in a few years....Thanks.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
There's no "right" answer to this, and there are many recent threads debating the "Should I get a 2011 or 2012" issue. The forum has a search feature that'll let you track all these threads down.

That said, if anything, I'd say your presumption has it backwards--the difference in the engines will be LEAST noticiable when offroading. Put the 2011 in 4L and you could pull a barn and climb a tree.

The biggest benefit of the new engine--and especially the new auto transmission, if you're going with an auto--is the more spirited daily driving and highway acceleration. So while just about everybody would be better off with more power/acceleration, I'd say you in particular would be a good candidate.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
The unknown factor is the longevity of the new engine. The 3.8 is a proven workhouse that will hit and exceed 250k with proper maintenance. Only time will tell if the 3.6 will have the same durability. That being said, if I were in your shoes, I would probably choose the 12.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
Have you driven either yet? If you're using a Wrangler only for on-road travel, you may find it's not what you were hoping for. It's noisy, bumpy, handles poorly, hydroplanes easily, feels different on-road than just about anything else you've probably driven and is a thief magnet in city parking lots and garages, but it's also great in the snow, ridiculously easy to parallel park, won't fall apart if you hit potholes on the regular and maneuvers very well in traffic due to the tight turning radius (at least on the 2 door). The main knock against the 07-11 Jeep is on road performance. You really can't be in a hurry to get anywhere, which is fine for people like me who bought a Jeep for it's capability, not highway performance. Power was adequate if driven properly, but the new engine and trans have pretty much solved that issue by all accounts.

In either case, if I were buying now, I'd get a '12. Nothing at all wrong with an '11 and I'm well known to be the first to defend the 3.8, but being new to Jeeps, I'd get the '12 if I were you.

There is something to be said about the "Jeep Experience" of planning your merges and watching a Toyota Prius accelerate pasty you from a stop light. You completely miss that with the '12. :rofl:

·
Registered
147 Posts
For a DD I'd go with a 12. I was in a similar situation as you and chose a 2012. Yes, you can score a great deal on a 2011 right now, but I think you'll appreciate the auto tranny in the 2012 much better than the 2011.

You are getting good advice from the guys above (most of them own the 3.8L). Drive both if you get a chance and negotiate both down as low as the dealer will go and then decide.

I love my 2012, but Daggo is right, we'll see how long she lasts. Either way, congrats.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It was just an adjustment of driving style for me. Now I appreciate the Jeep for what it is, and constantly passing others on the road does not factor into that equation.

But if I feel the need to get the Jeep going at a quick pace, the 3.8 has no problem doing that. Just have to know how to drive it. :)

·
I Need A Cigarette
514 Posts
I will chime in seeing that I have a 2012 JKU currently coming from a 2010 JK...

The 2010 was sluggish even with the manual tranny and got crap for overall gas mileage and that was a 2dr the 12' is a 4dr...
The 2012 auto is an incredible difference around town as well as the highway...
Points to note:
-The 3.8 requires 4lo more often than the 3.6 when you do off road (and you will)...
-The 3.8 has far more vibration and engine noise than the 3.6...
-The gas mileage on the highway has vastly improved with the 3.6 (from 16-17 to 20-21)...
-The air intake box on the 2012 is better designed to handle water splashing into it...

I'm tired of typing.... Get the 2012 you will be happy you did...
Oh and even with the incentives on the 2011's the 2012's are out selling them on dealer lots that are offering both at least around here...
Once you drive it you will see why....

·
Registered
916 Posts
The unknown factor is the longevity of the new engine. The 3.8 is a proven workhouse that will hit and exceed 250k with proper maintenance. Only time will tell if the 3.6 will have the same durability. That being said, if I were in your shoes, I would probably choose the 12.
Even Dagoo can't deny the extra 80+ horses of the 2012!

And when did jeep start making cars?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts