Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started researching wheels and tires and I really like these rims. I want to get 35 x 12.50 x 15 tires and when I look at the spec sheet for most tires that size, they say the minimum rim width is 8.5. But when I look at wheel and tire packages on sites like Quadratec or Extreme Terrain they show multiple 12.50 tires on 8 inch rims, am pulling out what little hair i have left.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
8" rim is fine and preferable over a 10" rim

·
Registered
863 Posts
33x12.50R15 and 35x12.50R15 tires are routinely mounted on 8" wheels.

As for 8" wide wheels being preferable to 10" for 12.5" wide tires it is really a matter of personal preference.

Some justify 8" wheels with the premise that there is less risk of popping a bead at extremely low air pressure but the reality is that only a small minority of jeepers air down that far or tackle the type of obstacles conducive to popping beads. I've run both 8" and 10" widths over the past 50+ years and have never experienced an issue with either, even on trails and obstacles considered "hard core" and even at very low tire pressures.

Get the wheels you like in the width you prefer and enjoy.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
I've ran 4 different sets of 8" wide wheels with 12.5" wide tires on my TJ. I've never had a problem with any of them as far as width goes. Currently on 15x8 Mammoth Boulder wheels and 35x12.5 MTR/K

2 different sets of stock 7.5" wide wheels on my JK with the same width tires. Also, no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts