Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a rack on my TJ to hold my 12' aluminum boat. Since I tow the TJ behind my motorhome the roof would be the best bet, however there are no ROOF BOAT RACKS OUT THERE. So I'm guessing I need to do a custom ALUMINUM welded model. I have a 2" receiver hitch on the rear, and, a Roadmaster Tow Bar in the front, I'm thinking I can have a rear support made and another front support made to tie down the boat too.

But as any good member here knows..........check with you guys first, as I'm sure someone has already made such a rack, and, I WOULD SURE LIKE TO SEE WHAT YOU GOT.

So shoot me a photo of your rack :rofl:eek:r however you carry your boat around I'd surely appreciate the response.

OR, if you got another idea lemme know what you think.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's not a good idea to carry anything heavier than a plastic kayak on a fiberglass roof. All of the Jeep racks that exist use some combination of front support that attaches to the front windshield hinges, and a rear support that attaches either to the rear crossmember or sometimes under the taillight assemblies. This is true regardless of hardtop or softop - all the strength is in the sport cage, not the top.

Since you have the rear receiver, I would add a front light bar to the windshield:

...and support the rear with a simple "L" shaped receiver insert, with a crossbar as wide as the boat on top. Use a front ratchet tiedown secured to the front bumper, and a rear ratchet tiedown secured to the outer ends of the rear bumper, for diagonal bracing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts