Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, any pics of -12 offset wheels on it Jeeps for reference before I upgrade? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
-12mm offset is for guys who like the skateboard look, throwing rocks at windshields, and damaging the paint on their doors and hinges.

+12 to +25mm offset is for guys who like to run larger tires while keeping most of the tread inside the flares.

Check your state laws before ordering. I know some states such as PA are very strict on tire tread coverage.

·
Super Moderator
15,718 Posts
Hey guys, any pics of -12 offset wheels on it Jeeps for reference before I upgrade? Much appreciated!
-12 offset is a moving target depending on wheel width.

If you would tell us what width wheel, what size tire you want, how much lift you have , etc we can give you some helpful info/pics :thumb:

4.5" backspace is good up to a 12.5" wide tire, and up to 35" tall. So depending on your wheel width that could be a wide variety of offset measurements.

4.5" Backspace =
7.5" Wheel +6mm
8.0" Wheel 0mm
8.5" Wheel -6mm
9.0" Wheel -12mm
9.5" Wheel -18mm
etc, etc ,etc

as an example:
Here is a 315/70/17 tire with a 2.5" lift and 4.5" of backspace

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WXman, running 265/70R16 Cooper AT on stock steelies. Found inexpensive Vision D Window 84 Black 16x8 wheels with -12 offset that want to put on with a Terraflex 1.5" leveling lift kit and upgrade tires to the 285/70R16 or similar 33" size if I find them in good condition used for cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks WXman and Blue Baby Sound for your comments, but really my last reply was meant to Blue Baby Sound to his very helpful reply to my post.

·
Super Moderator
15,718 Posts
Personally I think that wheel is a little aggressive for your tire goals.

So if you look at the chart above -12mm on an 8" wheel is 4" of backspace. By the book a 285/70R16 is 31.7x11.2R16. IMO that size tire should be around 5" of backspace. (your stock wheel is 6.25"BS)

You could even go with
305/70R16 = 32.8x12R16
or
295/75R16 = 33.4x11.6R16

But my opinion is only based on the numbers, I've never run those tire sizes.

Good luck, hopefully someone will chime in with some real life experience/pics :thumb:

You might also check out this thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
Thanks WXman and Blue Baby Sound for your comments, but really my last reply was meant to Blue Baby Sound to his very helpful reply to my post.
Per BBS's post... we don't use offset as a wheel spec for a Jeep. We use backspacing. 4.5 is a simple target, but anything from 5.0 to 4.5 is very accommodating on tire size. I use 4.75 on my rig.

Use the chart BBS posted to select a wheel in that range...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, i came into this thread specifically because of the -12 offset. The way that i was calculating my set up i wanted to see if im on the right path. Here is my plan:

Im located in Italy so getting parts here that i like is very hard because of the high shipping cost and high import tax but ive managed to get my DV8 3.5in lift kit as well as 315/75r16 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros already. Now im shopping around for 16 inch wheels but here in europe they dont have anything :( so im forced again to order from the states. The wheels im looking at are -12 with 4.5 backspacing (b/s is good im sure)

my Jeep is 2008 Sahara 2D 2.8 CRD and the stock tires are 255/70r18 with +45 offset. new tires and wheels that im planning are 315/75r16 with -12. It looks like once i got to the new set up, my tire width will be going from 10inch to 12.4inch and the height will go from 32.1 to 34.6.

so with those wheels ill be about an inch away from the suspension/frame and then be out about 3.5inches past the current point. at the moment the stock set up the wheel/tires are tucked in about an inch into the frame and inside the fender flares, so does that really mean that the tires will stick out 2.5inches?

thanks for any help
Sly

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all replied guys! Decided on Pro Comp 252s 16x8 with -6offset 4.25 B's. Saw them on XT video comparing tire upgrades and loved the look, not too aggressive but come out a bit, with the 1.5 leveling kit and some 33s I'll be happy for a while

1 - 11 of 11 Posts