Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to make my 12 volt "cigarette lighter plug" hot all the time instead of with the key on only. Any simple way to do this?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I had better look around some more. Didn't know there was one in the center console.

Between this post and the last one with my sun rider top, I'm feeling pretty stupid. :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd like to make my 12 volt "cigarette lighter plug" hot all the time instead of with the key on only. Any simple way to do this?
I suppose I had better look around some more. Didn't know there was one in the center console.

Between this post and the last one with my sun rider top, I'm feeling pretty stupid. :(
Come on Elwood, you are learning more as you go. That is exactly what this forum is for and why it is so great. You asked for a simple way to accomplish making a plug to be hot all the time.
You have to admit this is way better/easier/cheaper, than wiring.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
There is a fuse under the hood that depending which you put it in it changes the cigarette lighter port in the center console between ign or always hot. On our '14 Willy & JKU they both were in the ign mode.

Stolen from the net

M7 in in mode

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
There is a fuse under the hood that depending which you put it in it changes the cigarette lighter port in the center console between ign or always hot. On our '14 Willy & JKU they both were in the ign mode.

Stolen from the net

M7 in in mode

Unfortunately, M7 is for the 12v outlet in the rear cargo area and not the outlet in the center console. I actually tested this for a different reason earlier tonight.

Maybe something changed between '14 and '15, but on my '15 I have...

12v on the dash - Switched
12v in the console - Always hot regardless of M7
12v in the rear cargo - Switched or always hot depending on M7

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Unfortunately, M7 is for the 12v outlet in the rear cargo area and not the outlet in the center console. I actually tested this for a different reason earlier tonight.

Maybe something changed between '14 and '15, but on my '15 I have...

12v on the dash - Switched
12v in the console - Always hot regardless of M7
12v in the rear cargo - Switched or always hot depending on M7
hmmm I have to go out and take a quick look. I was recalling all this from memory. I don't have a rear outlet in the Willy. There is a USB port in the console also just a FYI

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hmmm I have to go out and take a quick look. I was recalling all this from memory. I don't have a rear outlet in the Willy. There is a USB port in the console also just a FYI

Yeah, I use the USB port in the center console to plug in my iPhone. Earlier tonight I pulled M7 and still had 12v at the outlet in the center console. Maybe it depends on the options or 2dr vs 4dr as to which outlet M7 is for? Dunno.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Yeah, I use the USB port in the center console to plug in my iPhone. Earlier tonight I pulled M7 and still had 12v at the outlet in the center console. Maybe it depends on the options or 2dr vs 4dr as to which outlet M7 is for? Dunno.
Looks like it, I just checked everything again. Cig lighter & usb ign controlled and the lighter port in console steady on. I will have to check the wife's JKU with all the bells & whistles

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome information! I have had several Jeeps, but this is the first JK I've driven daily and it has more bells and whistles than what I'm used to. I haven't used the one in the rear yet, but I can see it coming in handy at some point.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Awesome information! I have had several Jeeps, but this is the first JK I've driven daily and it has more bells and whistles than what I'm used to. I haven't used the one in the rear yet, but I can see it coming in handy at some point. Thanks again!
I've used the rear 12v outlet to power my portable air pump for airing up tires after trail run. The cord is long enough to just use the outlet up front but this way I don't have all that cord in the mud and muck or to be tripped on or worry about it getting shut in the door.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts